Zinc in Spirit

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 17, 2009
      Over the weekend I ran off a mash from 25 lbs of cracked corn. The run consisted of a strip run and then a high purity spirit run done with my X-flow head and a 24" x 2" dia column with about 18" of SS scrubber packing. End Spirit was 90% abv.
      The Problem.
      I usually keep the mash stirred well with a Heavy duty, clean, Dry wall mud mixer and my drill motor. This go round i got lazy an just left the mixer in the mash while it fermented and every morning and night give the mash a quick stir. All went well except that when the ferment was over and i pulled the mixer out it was no longer Shiny but a very dull grey. I emailed the company that manufactures the mixer and they confirmed that it is made from Zinc plated Steel. What problem if any would this pose to the final spirit? Should I toss it or would the harmful stuff, if it exists, have stayed in the boiler? Normally I go with "if in doubt, throw it out" but I thought this one was worth a question to the group. The diluted spirit smells really nice and is crystal clear. Just haven't tasted it yet.

      Mason
    • made_it_myself
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 17, 2009
        Hi,
        After Iron, Zinc is the most common element in the human body, however It is recommended that not more than 40 mg is consumed per day for more than a few days without consulting a doctor.
        My advice is that providing that there is not a stong metallic taste (usually associated with a deficiancy) that makes it too bad to drink, then it should be OK.
        Try not to drink it all at one go, but have a few every now and then.
        Of course high levels of Zinc intake, are associated with increased sex drive and potency!
        Be careful that combined with Alcohol they don't cancel each other out...

        Doc