RE: [new_distillers] Re: Wash pH & citric acid amounts?

  • Peers Cawley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 16, 2009

      Digital PH meter is the way to go – you can buy them on ebay for a few pounds. If not in home brewing the look in ponds and aquarium (tropical fish hate PH changes) – Or swimming pool suppliers. They usually have a coarse and fine adjustment and need recalibrating occasionally – this is done in distilled water to a ph of 7.0. You must remember to clean the sensor in pure distilled water after each use as any residual mineral deposits left on the sensor will result in damage to the sensor.

      As I have mentioned before, my water comes from a desalination plant and is chlorinated heavily the highest I have ever recorded coming out of the tap was 9.4! Needless to say we don’t drink the stuff but it is ok for washing (and after citric acid addition for brewing).

      I started using the calculations but after a while you just get the feel of the right amount to add.

      Also a factor is what you intend to do with the wash – If you are using emzymes and malting then a P.H. of about 5.3 is fine but for a good fermentation more citric acid should be added for a fermentation around 3.5 (Depends on the yeast) – You will get the hang of it. If your ph is out by a bit you won’t get a stuck fermentation, just might take a little longer.

      Patience they say is a virtue!

      Cheers from Peers