Re: The pitch

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2009
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lv2blade2" <lv2blade2@...> wrote:

      > getting ready to make a low abv sugar wash to clean my still for the first time. Directions say to pitch yeast and keep at 90 degrees for 24/36 hours. QUESTION: Does the wash natural create heat or should i get a heating pad. Thanks Hill

      90F is a tad high for a ferment. Try to shoot for the 80-85F range. The higher temp will in most cases make for a faster ferment but will also cause the yeast to do some "funny" things and produce off flavors. Here in Florida in the winter I use a heating pad under a SS fermenter. It stays on low. Here lately there is no need. There is also no need for you to make a wash for the purposes of cleaning the Still. Simple Vinegar and water and maybe some citric acid in the mix will boil it out nicely. Save the wash for the real deal.

      Mason