Re: rye flour

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2009
      Here's a procedure that works, took some trial and error + burnt heating elements to get there.

      "So far the cheapest mash for city dwellers. Produces very good light bodied whisky but takes some time and effort (stirring) to cook.

      4kg wheat flour
      1kg malt
      1 packet (~25g) of fresh baker's yeast

      Mix flour + some 200g malt to 8 liters of 50C water. This should settle to 40C or so. Add 9 liters of striking water (boiling) and mix well - should turn to liquid and settle at 65C. Keep stirring untill this happens.

      Heat to boil (stirring) and let it boil for some 15 minutes. Cool to 65C and add the rest of the malt. After it's cooled to 30C or so pitch the yeast.

      After fermentation the usual double distillation procedure and aging in toasted oak."

      Slainte, Riku