Re: Firebox condenser tube spacing

  • daryl_bee
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009

      Thanks so much for the excellent info sources. Based on the table in your second link I hit the nail on the head (.312 pitch with .250 tubes) with my initial sketch. I include a link below so you can see my initial ideas.

      I'd be very interested to see your spreadsheet. I'll be off-line for the weekend but will be back on Monday.

      The .250 tubes (water in shell/vapour in tubes) seem OK for a condensate condenser but from what I'm reading, and what you say, could suffer from "choking" as a reflux. I'll likely redesign in 3/8" tubing. The idea is to make it as a screw-on component unit that can be used in a variety of applications.

      This may be a bit overkill but 60,000 BTU *is* approx 20kW (~17.5). Efficiency of transfer into the still will reduce that but the online condenser calculations tend to bear out it's pretty efficient based on theoretical vs actual heat-up times. I had radial copper support channels (essentially fins) on the bottom of a copper tank over the flame.

      Trid got me wondering so I did a test on the water supply and I can get 5.55 l/min @ 11C. So I think a 15"- 18" length is reasonable.

      BTW, to Whammo57, nice work!