Thermometer position

  • made_it_myself
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009
      Hi all,
      This might be a silly question, but where is the best position for my thermometer on a reflux column?
      Does it need to be close to the outlet of the column, or just at the same level in the middle of the column?
      Sorry to ask such a simple question, but I am just getting the last few pieces together and I don't want to make a stupid mistake.

      Regards

      Doc
    • Nathan Stanley
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009
        Hi Doc,

        My reflux column has a removable rubber stopper in the top which I drill a hole in to insert the thermometer/probe. I could drill it any which way or any where I want but I have always put mine in the middle. It seems to work to my knowledge. Maybe just view this as one way to consider doing it, others probably have better ideas.

        On a side question, would my rubber stopper be affecting the taste of my distillate since it's at the top after the reflux column where the lovely vapors enter the condenser?

        I have to get some photos of my set up so I can show everyone on this list. I want to know what style my still is, as I just got a friend to make it for me and he pretty much designed out of a book his dad had. I didn't understand much about it back then (and still don't).

        made_it_myself wrote:

        Hi all,
        This might be a silly question, but where is the best position for my thermometer on a reflux column?
        Does it need to be close to the outlet of the column, or just at the same level in the middle of the column?
        Sorry to ask such a simple question, but I am just getting the last few pieces together and I don't want to make a stupid mistake.

        Regards

        Doc

      • Trid
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "made_it_myself" <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > This might be a silly question, but where is the best position for my thermometer on a reflux column?
          > Does it need to be close to the outlet of the column, or just at the same level in the middle of the column?
          > Sorry to ask such a simple question, but I am just getting the last few pieces together and I don't want to make a stupid mistake.

          You want your thermometer close to the outlet. Lower than that can be in the portion where the reflux mingles with the rising vapors and could lead to an erroneous value.

          Trid
          -though after reading the subject line, I had to really work to not say something involving "rectal or oral?"