UJSSM Info

  • thepatchworkdoll
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2009
      Hi Guys
      Looking for info on the UJSSM recipe/distillation.
      Does anyone dilute the still charge on the final distillation and what are the best cuts for hearts. Any info will bevery much appreciated.
      PC
    • vodkaman1976
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thepatchworkdoll" <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys
        > Looking for info on the UJSSM recipe/distillation.
        > Does anyone dilute the still charge on the final distillation and what are the best cuts for hearts. Any info will bevery much appreciated.
        > PC

        Finally something I can comment on here. I just finished my spirit run of my UJSSM collection. I had 8 gallons of low wines that I loaded into my boiler(I did not dilute the still charge with water). I ran it up to temp slowly and collected 400ml from initial output(just to be safe). I then did as Mason suggested a while back and started filling mason jars 1 by 1 and labled them as I took them off. I ran out of mason jars when I got to number 13 so i filled a 750ml bottle . My parots's beak was still registering 89% so I then filled a gallon jug. It started dropping towards the end so I collected 4 more 750ml bottles to add into my next batch. Hope this is some help for you, this was my first attempt at making it also. I also cut a bottle down to 40% abv and added a handful of charred oak and planning on trying it a few weeks.
      • thepatchworkdoll
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2009
          HI vodkaman Thanks for that. I cut my last batch from 80% - approx. 68% and set it down on uncharred oak for 3 months. It is reasonably good but has a distinct afterburn on drinking and a slightly firewatery taste to it (possibly sampling at a too young stage). Apart from that its fine. Any other comments/advice on this topic will be very much appreciated.
          Regards
          PC-- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vodkaman1976" <vodkaman1976@...> wrote:

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thepatchworkdoll" <peter.coleman20@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Guys
          > > Looking for info on the UJSSM recipe/distillation.
          > > Does anyone dilute the still charge on the final distillation and what are the best cuts for hearts. Any info will bevery much appreciated.
          > > PC
          > >

          > Finally something I can comment on here. I just finished my spirit run of my UJSSM collection. I had 8 gallons of low wines that I loaded into my boiler(I did not dilute the still charge with water). I ran it up to temp slowly and collected 400ml from initial output(just to be safe). I then did as Mason suggested a while back and started filling mason jars 1 by 1 and labled them as I took them off. I ran out of mason jars when I got to number 13 so i filled a 750ml bottle . My parots's beak was still registering 89% so I then filled a gallon jug. It started dropping towards the end so I collected 4 more 750ml bottles to add into my next batch. Hope this is some help for you, this was my first attempt at making it also. I also cut a bottle down to 40% abv and added a handful of charred oak and planning on trying it a few weeks.

        • trthskr4
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2009
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vodkaman1976" <vodkaman1976@...> wrote:

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thepatchworkdoll" <peter.coleman20@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Guys
            > > Looking for info on the UJSSM recipe/distillation.
            > > Does anyone dilute the still charge on the final distillation and what are the best cuts for hearts. Any info will bevery much appreciated.
            > > PC
            > >

            > Finally something I can comment on here. I just finished my spirit run of my UJSSM collection. I had 8 gallons of low wines that I loaded into my boiler(I did not dilute the still charge with water). I ran it up to temp slowly and collected 400ml from initial output(just to be safe). I then did as Mason suggested a while back and started filling mason jars 1 by 1 and labled them as I took them off. I ran out of mason jars when I got to number 13 so i filled a 750ml bottle . My parots's beak was still registering 89% so I then filled a gallon jug. It started dropping towards the end so I collected 4 more 750ml bottles to add into my next batch. Hope this is some help for you, this was my first attempt at making it also. I also cut a bottle down to 40% abv and added a handful of charred oak and planning on trying it a few weeks.

            I dilute mine down to 30% and do the spirit run. Fores usually come off around 80% and heads usually stop around 65-70% and I collect down to around 55% then when tails start poking through I switch to a big tails jar and catch a gallon or two.

            Get more mason jars, quarts and pints. Pints to collect in and quarts to age on oak in. The larger mouth makes it easier to get the oak in and out after it swells.
          • rye_junkie1
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2009
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thepatchworkdoll" <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

              > HI vodkaman Thanks for that. I cut my last batch from 80% - approx. 68% and set it down on uncharred oak for 3 months. It is reasonably good but has a distinct afterburn on drinking and a slightly firewatery taste to it (possibly sampling at a too young stage). Apart from that its fine. Any other comments/advice on this topic will be very much appreciated.
              > Regards
              > PC--

              In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vodkaman1976" <vodkaman1976@> wrote:

              > > Finally something I can comment on here. I just finished my spirit run of my UJSSM collection. I had 8 gallons of low wines that I loaded into my boiler(I did not dilute the still charge with water). I ran it up to temp slowly and collected 400ml from initial output(just to be safe). I then did as Mason suggested a while back and started filling mason jars 1 by 1 and labled them as I took them off. I ran out of mason jars when I got to number 13 so i filled a 750ml bottle . My parots's beak was still registering 89% so I then filled a gallon jug. It started dropping towards the end so I collected 4 more 750ml bottles to add into my next batch. Hope this is some help for you, this was my first attempt at making it also. I also cut a bottle down to 40% abv and added a handful of charred oak and planning on trying it a few weeks.

              Vodka,
              For 8 gallons of low wines you could have used quart and half gallon containers. and as you did 1 gallon jugs for the hearts as long as you knew you were there. I normally recommend pint jars but this is for folks that do smaller 2-3 gallon runs. I always suggest the jar method but I think it was Z Bob who suggested it to me a couple of years back. It just makes good sense. 89% is high for a whiskey run but I think you run a reflux column and it will definitely run more "efficiently" than a simple Pot Still. You just got a purer product with a little less flavor. To me, not a bad thing. By the way what was your heat input and collect/takeoff rate?

              Peter,
              One thing you have to realize when aging in Glass is that usually we seal it up with a lid. Barrels breath, Glass does not. Therefore you are not evaporating any of the low boiling point compounds off and unless you are cutting that 68% spirit before taste testing, at that proof you will still have a considerable sting. We like to put those jars in an "out of sight out of mind" place but the truth is that we need to open up those jars once a week or so and let the spirit breath. Shaking the jar before opening it is a good idea. Aeration works wonders with spirit and is easily done with an aquarium pump and a pinched piece of 1/4" copper tubing. Add 5-10 minutes of this into the aging ritual every couple of weeks. As you do this the Angels get their share but those boozers are taking some of the bad and leaving the good. Be careful doing this though and keep track of the ABV as it drops. You dont want to over do it.

              Mason
            • vodkaman1976
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6, 2009

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thepatchworkdoll" <peter.coleman20@> wrote:
                > >

                > Vodka,
                > For 8 gallons of low wines you could have used quart and half gallon containers. and as you did 1 gallon jugs for the hearts as long as you knew you were there. I normally recommend pint jars but this is for folks that do smaller 2-3 gallon runs. I always suggest the jar method but I think it was Z Bob who suggested it to me a couple of years back. It just makes good sense. 89% is high for a whiskey run but I think you run a reflux column and it will definitely run more "efficiently" than a simple Pot Still. You just got a purer product with a little less flavor. To me, not a bad thing. By the way what was your heat input and collect/takeoff rate?

                Hey Mason sorry it took so long to get back to this post but work has been beating my ass lately. To answer your question I was running on propane at around 800ml per hour. Low heat, slow and easy taking my time as this was my first spirit run of a UJSSM. Your right about the jars but it was all I had so had to improvise a little bit. I must say that it turned out really nice, very smooth with a little burn on the back of the tongue. Ive already started fermenting my next batch with the hopes of making something even better. Practice makes perfect, so the saying goes.
                Vodka