Re: [new_distillers] TIG and copper

  • Al Wells
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2009
      On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 9:13 AM, billfitz49 <billfitz@...> wrote:

      > Is there anyone out there who has TIG experience joining copper to copper?
      > Any practical info would be appreciated.

      I have welded small copper wires and tubes, and had the best results
      using helium instead of argon, although argon works. Since copper is a
      relatively pure metal, it has a very sharp melting point, so you keep
      pouring heat into it with no visible result, and then it suddenly
      puddles. The puddle size can be hard to control.

      I would prefer to silver braze copper instead of welding it. There are
      food grade silver brazing materials available (BAg7).
    • dearknarl
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2009
        I'm new to TIG welding, but I can make an OK weld on 1.5mm stainless
        sheet. I tried a little experiment to see if I could weld a couple of
        pieces of 13mm copper tube, but what happened (as the previous person
        mentioned) was one second the copper looked solid with no pool, then
        the next second there was a gaping hole where a large section of pipe
        liquified.

        I didn't spend much time trying to adjust my technique, but I think
        for my next experiment I'm going to try brazing using the TIG as the
        heat source with brass filler rod.

        Is brass brazing OK for vapour path?

        Cheers,
        knarl.