TIG and copper

  • billfitz49
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2009
      Is there anyone out there who has TIG experience joining copper to copper? Any practical info would be appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Bill
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "billfitz49" <billfitz@...> wrote:

        > Is there anyone out there who has TIG experience joining copper to copper? Any practical info would be appreciated.
        > Thanks,
        > Bill

        Havent tried it yet myself but have a look at this.
        From:
        http://www.keytometals.com/Article29.htm

        Gas-Tungsten Arc Welding. Gas-tungsten arc welding is well suited for copper and copper alloys because of its intense arc, which produces an extremely high temperature at the joint and a narrow heat-affected zone (HAZ).

        In welding copper and the more thermally conductive copper alloys, the intensity of the arc is important in completing fusion with minimum heating of the surrounding, highly conductive base metal. A narrow HAZ is particularly desirable in the welding of copper alloys that have been precipitation hardened.

        Many of the standard tungsten or alloyed tungsten electrodes can be used in GTAW of copper and copper alloys. The selection factors normally considered for tungsten electrodes apply in general to the copper and copper alloys. Except for the specific classes of copper alloys, thoriated tungsten (usually EWTh-2) is preferred for its better performance, longer life, and greater resistance to contamination.

        Mason
      • Al Wells
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2009
          On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 9:13 AM, billfitz49 <billfitz@...> wrote:

          > Is there anyone out there who has TIG experience joining copper to copper?
          > Any practical info would be appreciated.

          I have welded small copper wires and tubes, and had the best results
          using helium instead of argon, although argon works. Since copper is a
          relatively pure metal, it has a very sharp melting point, so you keep
          pouring heat into it with no visible result, and then it suddenly
          puddles. The puddle size can be hard to control.

          I would prefer to silver braze copper instead of welding it. There are
          food grade silver brazing materials available (BAg7).
        • dearknarl
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2009
            I'm new to TIG welding, but I can make an OK weld on 1.5mm stainless
            sheet. I tried a little experiment to see if I could weld a couple of
            pieces of 13mm copper tube, but what happened (as the previous person
            mentioned) was one second the copper looked solid with no pool, then
            the next second there was a gaping hole where a large section of pipe
            liquified.

            I didn't spend much time trying to adjust my technique, but I think
            for my next experiment I'm going to try brazing using the TIG as the
            heat source with brass filler rod.

            Is brass brazing OK for vapour path?

            Cheers,
            knarl.