Re: Malting Barley

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2009
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peers Cawley" <peers_c@...> wrote:

      > Hi all
      >
      > For the last few months, I have been malting my own barley and using it green - It is impossible to get any form of malt here.
      >
      > I'd like to try out some recipes that use roasted malt from Light through to chocolate. Does anyone know or can point me in the right direction where I can find the roasting times and temperatures that will take green malt through it's various stages.
      >
      > Many thanks,
      >
      > Cheers from Peers

      Lots of facts & figures here.
      http://www.bairds-malt.co.uk/index.html

      Maybe ask them & post the reply here?

    • Peers Cawley
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2009

        Thanks Harry,

        Gives me some idea over temperatures but as regards time – seems like you need to be able to measure the original humidity of your grain. Up till now I have soaked the barley for six hours and placed it in my biosnakky unit. (I’ll explain that part later) for three days. Then just placed the sprouted grains under a fan on a tray covered with Kleenex on my patio to dry out. Knocked off the shoots and worked from there – Got real problems with temperature, even with the A/C on the barley is generating it’s own heat up to 28 degrees

        > For the last few months, I have been malting my own barley and using it
        green - It is impossible to get any form of malt here.

        > I'd like to try out some recipes that use roasted malt from Light through
        to chocolate. Does anyone know or can point me in the right direction where I can find the roasting times and temperatures that will take green malt through it's various stages.

        > Many thanks,
        >
        > Cheers from Peers

        Lots of facts & figures here.
        http://www.bairds-malt.co.uk/index.html

        Maybe ask them & post the reply here?

      • made_it_myself
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 28, 2009
          Hi group,
          I've just been given 80 pounds of malting barley by a local farmer, and I am now
          wondering what to do with it!
          I am sure I read something about using enzymes instead of the malting process
          (please point me towards the thread I can't find it) and I am quite keen to try
          it out, any information would be welcome.
          P.S.
          Can I get these enzymes in the UK or do I have to import them?
          P.P.S
          If you have tried this can you tell me what the "beer" tastes like?
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 28, 2009

            Hi Made,

            Nothing better then a nice single malt wiskey (cept mabe our white dawg, corn shine likker we make in these parts ;).)  If your not going to malt the barley, then you can use alpha and beta amylase enzymes to convert the starches to sugars, or use the UJSSM method and use the barley instead of corn...  If you really want to be a purist, you could do your own malted barley (bit messy) - its in Tony's site: http://www.homedistiller.org/wash-grain.htm#malting

            But your interest in using the enzymes is IMHO, probably  the best and easiest  way to go.  We have had several threads on using these enzymes, the ones Mason and other use are the BA\GA-100 enzymes from Mile High Distillers located here in the USA. (Denver, CO me thinks:).  http://www.milehidistilling.com/additives_s/26.htm

            Good Luck.

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo  (see below for desc. of enzymes)

            Alpha-Amylase Enzyme - 1 Pound
            Alpha-Amylase Enzyme - 1 Pound
            Our Price: $14.99

            BA-100 is a bacterial alpha-amylse enzyme. It is a food-grade enzyme product produced by fermentation of a non-GMO strain of Bacillus. This enzyme is Kosher-certified, not-synthetic and can be used in the production of certified-organic foods. BA-100, endo-amylase, randomly hydrolyzes 1.4-alpha-glucosidic bonds in starch. The prolonged action of BA-100 reduces the viscosity of gelatinized starch and produces large amounts of low molecular weight oligosaccharides. This process will turn the starch into long chain sugars but unfortunately yeast cannot utilize this sugar yet.

            BA-100 and GA-100 enzymes are the exact same enzymes used by both the beverage alcohol and fuel alcohol industries. These are very concentrated and just 1/10 pound of each of these enzymes will break down 100 pounds of grain or starch into fermentable glucose.

            Please store these enzymes refrigerated in zip lock bags.
            Gluco-Amylase Enzyme - 1 Pound
            Gluco-Amylase Enzyme - 1 Pound
            Our Price: $14.99

            GA-100 is a Glucoamylase enzyme produced by controlled fermentation of a non-GMO strain of Rhizopus; (much stronger action than glucoamylase produced by Aspergillus Niger) this enzyme is food-grade, Kosher-certified, Non-synthetic and can be used to produce certified-organic beverages. GA-100, an exo-alpha-amylase, hydrolyses 1.4 alpha-glucosidic bonds of liquefied starch. The prolonged action of GA-100 produces large amounts of glucose. This means that this process converts all the long chain sugars produced by BA-100 into short chain sugars that the yeast will love.