Re: dissolving sugar

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2009
      > > Couple of GOTCHA's in that.
      > >
      > > 1. Watch for Mt Vesuvius style eruptions when stirring and/or adding sugar to larger ferments. When step-feeding sugar, always have it dissolved first (liquid form). Prevents nucleation and gas eruptions.
      > >
      > > 2. Once fermentation is established, DO NOT keep adding air. Additional air allows yeast to operate aerobically. All they will do is produce more yeast and no alcohol. Yield suffers. You need to add the liquid sugar very gently.
      > >

      > > Step-feeding is a good idea for large batches. It prevents osmotic shock to yeast, and heat buildup which makes yeast produce nasty things. But you need to start the batch off small, allowing for the water that will be added later along with the sugars. Hold back 1 litre of water (from the total) for each 1 kg of sugar you are adding later. When making the next feed, warm the addition water to dissolve the sugar. Prepare it well before addition time, to let it cool off. Also keep it covered before use so you don't introduce bacteria.
      > >

      > > Slainte!
      > > regards Harry
      >
      > Thanks Harry,
      >
      > More good advice. Suppose I'm going to use 80#, would you start out with say 50# maybe around 1.080 or so and then feed the balance in 3-4 increments with inverted sugar? Seem realistic. Could I go higher on the SG. I did a batch where I started out at 1.150 and it finished at .980 and 7 Brix. Took 11 days

      My 2 cents here. Step feeding is something I have done for a while now even though i do smaller batches at low gravity(1.050-1.080). Last week I took a MUM wash using 12Lbs of sugar to 15%potential abv in 7 days by step feeding it 4 lbs at a time. Starting sg was 1.050 and when it would go below 1.010 I would dissolve another 4 lb bag and bring the gravity back to 1.050. Total volume when it was done was 5 gallons. I am pretty confident that it would still be fermenting if I had just done the 12lbs at once plus I would have needed to start with a larger volume of at least 6-7 gallons.
      For the wash you are considering i would go with 3-4 additions as you say but keep the SG low. 1.070 or lower. I bet you will find that you can actually ferment more sugar faster with this method.

      Mason
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Harry,
        >
        > More good advice. Suppose I'm going to use 80#, would you start out with say 50# maybe around 1.080 or so and then feed the balance in 3-4 increments with inverted sugar? Seem realistic. Could I go higher on the SG. I did a batch where I started out at 1.150 and it finished at .980 and 7 Brix. Took 11 days

        Try this...

        Day 1. 27# sugar dissolved in 3 gal hot water. Add 19 gal cool water for total 22 gal @ 85°F (30C). Add all the nutrients (you must use nutrients), and all the yeast.

        Day 2. 27# sugar dissolved in 9 gals warm water. Let cool then add to the mash slowly. Cover it.

        Day 3. 26# sugar dissolved in 9 gals warm water. Let cool then add to the mash slowly. Cover and airlock it.

        Should be around 46 gals volume in a 55 gal drum.
        Should finish in 6-7 days.

        Total sugar = 80#
        Total water = 40 gals
        Potential alc = 12% vol. or 6 gals @ 95%
        Should make 15 gals 41+% product

        Betcha can't drink all that on your own before xmas. ;)

      • edbar44
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 5, 2009
          Okay, I adjusted this to fit into my 30 gallon container, just got it going yesterday, started with 1.085, this morning it's at 1.080 and really rolling, when would you suggest I add the next feed?

          No, I don't think I could drink it before Xmas but maybe New Years ;-)

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 5, 2009
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@...> wrote:

            > Okay, I adjusted this to fit into my 30 gallon container, just got it going yesterday, started with 1.085, this morning it's at 1.080 and really rolling, when would you suggest I add the next feed?

            Sounds like it took a while to establish the yeast colony. Give it another day or so then test it. Get it below 1.020 before adding each feed.

          • edbar44
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 9, 2009
              I just put in the last step feed, SG was 1.015, very active, pH 4.1, Brix was 13. I added the final feed and Brix went to 17 and the SG to 1.040. I am at 80# in 28 gallons now but my calculations show over 20% potential, does this seem right?

              > > Thanks Harry,
              > >
              > > More good advice. Suppose I'm going to use 80#, would you start out with say 50# maybe around 1.080 or so and then feed the balance in 3-4 increments with inverted sugar? Seem realistic. Could I go higher on the SG. I did a batch where I started out at 1.150 and it finished at .980 and 7 Brix. Took 11 days
              > >

              > Try this...
              >
              > Day 1. 27# sugar dissolved in 3 gal hot water. Add 19 gal cool water for total 22 gal @ 85°F (30C). Add all the nutrients (you must use nutrients), and all the yeast.
              >
              > Day 2. 27# sugar dissolved in 9 gals warm water. Let cool then add to the mash slowly. Cover it.
              >
              > Day 3. 26# sugar dissolved in 9 gals warm water. Let cool then add to the mash slowly. Cover and airlock it.
              >
              > Should be around 46 gals volume in a 55 gal drum.
              > Should finish in 6-7 days.
              >

              > Total sugar = 80#
              > Total water = 40 gals
              > Potential alc = 12% vol. or 6 gals @ 95%
              > Should make 15 gals 41+% product
              >
              > Betcha can't drink all that on your own before xmas. ;)
              >

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

            • rye_junkie1
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 9, 2009
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@...> wrote:

                > I just put in the last step feed, SG was 1.015, very active, pH 4.1, Brix was 13. I added the final feed and Brix went to 17 and the SG to 1.040. I am at 80# in 28 gallons now but my calculations show over 20% potential, does this seem right?

                Looks right to me. You need 37 gallons total volume to get down to 15%
                and 39.5 to get into a better 14% range depending on what yeast you are using. Even with EC1118 that wash is coming to a halt here in the near future. Bakers yeast will go to 13% if its healthy and others will hit 14 and 15. Harry's well laid out instructions gave a 12% wash at 40 gallons total volume. Would have been no problem for bakers yeast.

                Mason