Re: BRASS

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2009
      This is a quote from the ARC book forum:

      "I'll bring up this from the old forum with some additions. The reason for that is my latest test run. I didn't treat those brass connectors I used to connect the liebig to the valve which resulted vodka with distinct brass smell in it. So today I did the "NASA brass treatment":

      Found this on distilling.com

      "Nasa's treatment of Brass to de-lead it, it was very simple. two parts white vinegar to one part peroxide and swab for 15 minutes. then rinse,not 16 by the way or it starts acid etching the brass."

      It is simple and works very well, those connectors now smell of copper as they should. The exact recipe I used is 1 part of 2% Hydrogen peroxide solution and 2 parts of 5% acetic acid solution. Hydrogen peroxide solution can be bought from pharmacies where it is used for cleaning wounds and disinfection. Acetic acid is available in groceries, 5% vinegar is typical or here in Scandinavia you can by sprit├Ąttika which is typically 10% solution.

      So, if you use brass bodied valves or brass connectors do treat them before installation."

      Slainte, Riku