Re: Cactus Likker?

    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2009

      Hello Wyo,

      Your Saguaro cactus fruits are indeed capable of making wine.  As Harry mentioned,the O'Odham Indians make wine out of the boiled fruits and then grind the seeds up to make flour and the pulp to make jams.

      However, unless you can buy the fruit commerially, you may run into some problems.;)  First off,  the O'Odhams consider the catus as a being and honor it.  The wine they make from it is a sacrid wine used in the yearly ritualistic Saguaro wine festivals they hold each year to promote rain...  Im not sure how well they would appreciate it if we started using their sacrid fruits to make some of that there "White Man's Fire Water" lol....

      Also, the Saguaro cactus flower is the state flower of Arizona and the catus is strictly governed by state law - it cannot be harmed in any way or even cut down without state concent.

      It also seems a bit labor intensive to havest the fruits since they only grow on the very tops of the catus (which grow over 30 feet tall)  They cant be climbed (unless your crazy hehe) the way the palm trees can to harvest the palm flower sap for making palm wine "Toddy" in the islands.

      The only way to do it is with a long pole like so:

      Theres a good description of how the O'Odhams make their wine at:  http://www.ic.arizona.edu/~agave/ceram_feast04c.htm

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.