Re: Cactus Likker

  • wyobrunson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2009
      Your indian friends know how...

      <quote>
      Saguaro fruit, the most important ingredient in the Tohono O'odham traditional
      wine, is a versatile and nutritious fruit. Tohono O'odham women have
      traditionally used the fruit for syrup and jam and its seeds can be ground to
      make flour. The first step in harvesting the sweet, red fruit is to knock it off
      the saguaro with a kui' pad, a long stick fashioned from saguaro ribs and topped
      with a crosspiece of creosote. They never knock down fruit by throwing rocks or
      hurting the cactus in any way. The Tohono O'odham feel strongly that they are
      closely connected to the saguaro and consider the saguaro a ha:saƱ, a person.

      Once enough fruit has been gathered, it is carried back to the family ramada for
      preparation. The woman in Michael Chiago's painting has gathered saguaro fruit
      and is ready to prepare it for the ceremony. Though she carries the fruit in a
      coiled basket on her head, many present-day harvesters have forgone traditional
      baskets for modern plastic containers. To prepare saguaro wine, the pulp (called
      hijij) is removed from the pod or husk then mixed with water, ground to a pulp,
      and strained. The liquid must then be kept in a cool place and allowed to
      ferment into wine.

      </quote>
      [Source:
      www.tohonochulpark.org/permanentcollection/2009/permanentcollection_may.html
      http://tinyurl.com/ndyz2r ]

      Hey, thanks, Harry! very good! I bet with a little research I
      could find more detailed information on how the Indians did it
      then compare it with Tony's methods and come up with something
      that will work. got me a small 3 Gal. fermenter I use for my experiments. guess this weekend I'm gonna go pick some fruit.
      In about 5 to 7 days I'll tell you how it turned out!
      thanks again. jeez, I love this forum.