Re: Calculation

    Message 1 of 6 , May 24, 2009

      INVERT SUGAR

      For 1 pound invert sugar:

      • 2 cups finely granulated sugar
      • 1 cup water
      • 2 tsp lemon juice

      Invert sugar is made by mixing two parts sugar to one part water, adding two teaspoons lemon juice per pound of sugar. This is brought almost to a boil and held there for 30 minutes (do NOT allow to boil). This is poured into a sealable jar, sealed and cooled in refrigerator. This process hydrolizes sucrose into glucose and fructose and speeds fermentation. Invert sugar should NOT be used to sweeten finished wine as it will encourage refermentation.

      For larger amounts of invert sugar:

      Expand the recipe above to make the amount required by a particular recipe. For example, to make 2-1/2 pounds of invert sugar, use 5 cups sugar, 2-1/2 cups water and 5 tsp lemon juice. Make the invert sugar at least 2 hours ahead of time (to give it sufficient time to cool).

      Author's recipe

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.