Re: Double distilling

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 4 , May 24 8:11 AM
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Stanley <catfish@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi list,
      > >
      > > I have been distilling for a few years, but only started reading up on
      > > it more. I am amazed at how mathematical this hobby actually is.
      > >
      > > One thing I have always wondered and been cautious of is what the
      > > highest alc/vol % that can be used when double or triple distilling? I
      > > always double distill mine using a reflux still, but I usually water
      > the
      > > spirit down to around 30% in the second run. It is mainly because I
      > was
      > > concerned the spirit would be more likely to catch alight from the
      > heat
      > > in the pot.
      > >
      > > Is this possible? Can the alcohol catch alight in the pot if the % is
      > > too high?
      > > What would be the recommended maximum % to put back into a still?
      > >
      > > Of course, the still would be cooled down before any alcohol is put
      > into it.
      > >
      > > Nathan.

      Apparently this has happened to a member a few years back. It was an internal element boiler that used 2 elements. The designer decided to mount one of the elements above the other and when the level of liquid got below the level of the top element it became red hot and ignited the rising vapor. Apparently the next thing that happened involved a loud boom and a pretty blue flame.
      When I was using propane I would commonly do 3-4 pot distillation on product and never diluted the still charge. In most cases the 4th run charge was 80+%. I felt comfortable doing this because I new without doubt that my equipment was sound and sealed and at that level you nearly only need the flame of a cigarette lighter to get product flowing. Lowest flame possible is the rule. If you are not 100% comfortable with the idea then dont do it. And always make sure when doing this that you know to the ML what the still charge is and keep an accurate tally of how much you collect.
      For internal elements though, always make sure those elements are covered with water before a spirit run. Then charge the boiler with your Low Wines.

      Mason