Re: Aluminum Pressure Cooker?

    Message 1 of 22 , May 8, 2009

      Hamlet,

      Its not ethanol that causes corrosion in aluminum.  Its the acid in the fermentation which you are distilling.

      However, this is a very slow process and happens with all aluminum cooking utensils, especially when cooking tomato sauces.  Sherman (Pint O Shine) has been using aluminum pressure cookers for years as boilers.  My first boiler was an old aluminum pot until I switched to stainless.

      While it is not the best material for distilling it may be used with no bad effects  and works fine - just clean it out after every use.  In the Info base theres an entry on Materials used in Distilling that Harry wrote up a while back.

      Your main concern will the the rubber pressure gasket which will can be affected by the ethanol fumes.  You should think about replacing this with a silicone gasket.

      Send an email to Sherman at: pintoshine@...  Im sure he will give you the best advice on this (tell him Jim sent ya - he and Harry were some of my original mentors;)).

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hamlet_jones" <hamlet_jones@...> wrote:

      > I would like to use an aluminum pressure canner for a boiler.
      >
      > I understand that aluminum will corrode in the presence of ethanol,
      > but is it a severe enough problem to cause immediate trouble?
      >
      > I already have a 7gallon unit:
      >
      > <http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/cgi-bin/miva?/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WMSL&Product_Code=WMSL-AAPCC&Category_Code=PP>
      >
      > (it's been awhile since I was active in this hobby. I'll be posting a few questions, hoping to get back up to speed quick)
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      > Hamlet
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" jamesonbeam1@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Yes,
      > > The problem with rust is that it will contaminate your distillate and cause pitting and eventual leaking in your boiler.. Again, the SS keg route is the way to go and used ones can be bought and modified very inexpensively.

    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 22 , May 9, 2009
        Hey Hamlet,

        While I don't tax an over-stressed and defective memory by memorizing the exact alloy of modern US-plumbing-approved solder, I *do* remember that it's safely lead-free for food, water, and distilling use.

        I've used simple, modern, lead-free solder on stills for many years, and it's safe.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller