RE: [new_distillers] Re: Reading the Bead

  • KM Services
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2009

      Hey Harry,

      Can’t seem to open this in either window media player or real player

      Ken Mc

      Notice in the video below how the bead looks similar in shape and appearance to a 'goose's eye'. Hence the term 'gooseye'.
      The bead (7 sec video) is here...
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/new_ distillers/ files/Harry/ bead.avi

    • Sherman
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2009
        Here is the mpg version
        http://www.amsyrup.com/sloj/video/bead.mpg

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...> wrote:

        > Hey Harry,
        >
        > Can't seem to open this in either window media player or real player
        >

        > Ken Mc
        >

        > Notice in the video below how the bead looks similar in shape and appearance
        > to a 'goose's eye'. Hence the term 'gooseye'.
        > The bead (7 sec video) is here...
        > http://groups.
        > yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/files/Harry/bead.avi
        >
        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

      • Sherman
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2009
          In this video the bubbles float half way. Also notice all the tiny suspended bubbles. These bubbles sit there for a considerable time.
          When the proof goes up, the bubbles are larger and sit up on top of the liquor but flash off faster.
          When the strength falls a bit below 40% it is hard to get the bubbles at all.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@...> wrote:

          > Here is the mpg version
          > http://www.amsyrup.com/sloj/video/bead.mpg
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey Harry,
          > >
          > > Can't seem to open this in either window media player or real player
          > >

          > > Ken Mc
          > >

          > > Notice in the video below how the bead looks similar in shape and appearance
          > > to a 'goose's eye'. Hence the term 'gooseye'.
          > > The bead (7 sec video) is here...
          > > http://groups.
          > > yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/files/Harry/bead.avi
          > >
          > > Slainte!
          > > regards Harry

        • Moonshine Man
          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 2009

            I’m no tech or anything, but I watched a documentary on moonshiners just the other day and an old timer showed you how he read the bead. He said that the stronger the proof the bigger the bubbles around the top, and they disappeared faster; The weaker the proof the smaller the bubbles and they disappeared slower.

            I don’t know if it’s true or not, but this was an old moonshiner and that’s the way he did it.

            Ray

            Message 5 of 9 , May 5, 2009

              Hi Ray- Hi All,

              Yes, the infamous Waldo the Missing is back.....

              Again, for the many that dont know, spring time is renovation time around here. We just finish restoring the whole back end of the house including a 24' kitchen complete with new flooring and all.  Whew, glad its done and glad to be back.  Bet theres some "Where's Waldo Now" postings I have to catch up on (ROTFLMAO).

              Anyways Rick,

              The way the bubbles or "beads" were read by the ol' timers, was shaking the shine up, holding the jar or bottle sideways and watching the distribution of the smaller bubbles vs the larger bubbles and how long the smaller ones lasted.

              The lenght of time the smaller bubbles remained in relation to the bigger bubbles gave a rough (and i do mean rough) indication of the ABV.  Not pretending to be one of dem Ol'  Timers, ive played with this trick and can now get to within 20% +/- of the actual ABV.  Play with it sometimes - its fun.  Below is a link to an interesting account of how an ol' Appalachian moonshiner made his stuff as recounted by his son, Sidney Farr.

               [PDF]

              120k - Adobe PDF - View as html
              in 1964, I read articles and books about Appalachia, talked with ... If the bubbles. rose and sat half above and half below the top of the liquid he had the ...

              community.berea.edu/... /issues/ winter2007/moonshine.pdf

              Here is the excerpt about "reading bubbles":

              "Dad tested for the right proof by putting some moonshine in a quart jar.  Covering it tightly and shaking a few times.  If the bubbles rose and sat half way above and half way below the top of the liquid, he knew he had the right proof. (about 100 - 110 proof)."

              Vino es Veritas,

              Jim aka Waldo.

              P.s.  I couldn't get the video to run either = needs teh Real MPEG-2 player download...  Going to try that.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Moonshine Man <hillbilly153@...> wrote:

              > I’m no tech or anything, but I watched a documentary on moonshiners just the other day and an old timer showed you how he read the bead. He said that the stronger the proof the bigger the bubbles around the top, and they disappeared faster; The weaker the proof the smaller the bubbles and they disappeared slower.
              > I don’t know if it’s true or not, but this was an old moonshiner and that’s the way he did it.
              > Ray

            • Moonshine Man
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 2009
                Cool read. Thanks Waldo

                Cheers,

                Ray

                Hi Ray- Hi All,
                Yes, the infamous Waldo the Missing is back.....
                Again, for the many that dont know, spring time is renovation time around here. We just finish restoring the whole back end of the house including a 24' kitchen complete with new flooring and all.  Whew, glad its done and glad to be back.  Bet theres some "Where's Waldo Now" postings I have to catch up on (ROTFLMAO).
                Anyways Rick,
                The way the bubbles or "beads" were read by the ol' timers, was shaking the shine up, holding the jar or bottle sideways and watching the distribution of the smaller bubbles vs the larger bubbles and how long the smaller ones lasted.
                The lenght of time the smaller bubbles remained in relation to the bigger bubbles gave a rough (and i do mean rough) indication of the ABV.  Not pretending to be one of dem Ol'  Timers, ive played with this trick and can now get to within 20% +/- of the actual ABV.  Play with it sometimes - its fun.  Below is a link to an interesting account of how an ol' Appalachian moonshiner made his stuff as recounted by his son, Sidney Farr.
                 [PDF]
                120k - Adobe PDF - View as html
                in 1964, I read articles and books about Appalachia, talked with ... If the bubbles. rose and sat half above and half below the top of the liquid he had the ...
                community.berea. edu/... /issues/ winter2007/moonshine.pdf
                Here is the excerpt about "reading bubbles":
                "Dad tested for the right proof by putting some moonshine in a quart jar.  Covering it tightly and shaking a few times.  If the bubbles rose and sat half way above and half way below the top of the liquid, he knew he had the right proof. (about 100 - 110 proof)."
                Vino es Veritas,
                Jim aka Waldo.
                P.s.  I couldn't get the video to run either = needs teh Real MPEG-2 player download...  Going to try that.

                --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, Moonshine Man <hillbilly153@ ...> wrote:

                > I’m no tech or anything, but I watched a documentary on moonshiners just the other day and an old timer showed you how he read the bead. He said that the stronger the proof the bigger the bubbles around the top, and they disappeared faster; The weaker the proof the smaller the bubbles and they disappeared slower.
                > I don’t know if it’s true or not, but this was an old moonshiner and that’s the way he did it.
                > Ray

              • Zapata Vive
                Message 7 of 9 , May 5, 2009
                  This is the way I was taught by oldtimers.  More of a way to judge shine quality than a way to monitor a run.  Big bubbles are called hog's heads.  Well, maybe more like "hawgsheds" ;)