Re: calibrate a alcoholmeter

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2009
      Geoff,

      All true, but rather than try to change JustMe's friends, why not just rip a batch off at maximum speed, collecting *everything*, and dilute it to about 55%. It'll wither their taste buds, scorch their tongues, and give them awful hangovers,and they'll think JustMe is a god.

      Pity.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2009
          hi everyone, thank you for all the responses.mason they are both from Brewhaus and are for 20c/68f. are the numbers the same for these as your 60f? I have explained to my friends about heads hearts and tails. how fusil oils and congeners are left in commercial spirits. I have thought about leaving in some tails but that goes against my grain to ruin good spirits. I don't trust my friends (or myself) with 55abv. we have some pretty spirited discussions without any stronger spirits to help. does anyone know the lowest abv that  ethanol will burn?

          just me
          "....I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at
          all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I've lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."

          John Steinbeck's 'Travels With Charley'
        • rye_junkie1
          Message 4 of 8 , May 4, 2009
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "just me" <hifa222@...> wrote:

            > hi everyone, thank you for all the responses.mason they are both from Brewhaus and are for 20c/68f. are the numbers the same for these as your 60f? I have explained to my friends about heads hearts and tails. how fusil oils and congeners are left in commercial spirits. I have thought about leaving in some tails but that goes against my grain to ruin good spirits. I don't trust my friends (or myself) with 55abv. we have some pretty spirited discussions without any stronger spirits to help. does anyone know the lowest abv that ethanol will burn?
            >
            > just me

            You need to go to Ricks sight and print out the correction table he has.
            http://www.brewhaus.com/CategoryGrid4.aspx?CategoryId=142
            I am assuming if you have 2 then possibly one of them is the 30-60% model. That one according to Ian Smileys web sight has a correction of .2% for every 1C above or below 20C.
            http://www.home-distilling.com/store/pc/Alcoholmeter-30-60-54p466.htm
            If you're friends want more bite in their drink add some heads. Stay away from the tails.

            History off "Proof"
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholic_proof

            Mason
          • just me
            Message 5 of 8 , May 5, 2009
              thank you mason. i looked at ricks site and couldnt find it. and after you gave me the link it still took a minute to find it. my eye doc told me i need bifocals.  i wouldnt add tails or heads.

              just me

              life begins at 80.. 1.080 that is.