calibrate a alcoholmeter

  • just me
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2009
      how can you check the calibration of your alcoholmeter? i have 2 and 1 reads 95 and the other 92. what is the lowest proof alcohol will burn?
      i am happy with my product but my friends don't believe my alcoholmeters are accurate because of the lack of taste,bite, and hangover after a night of imbibing. i shouldnt say lack of taste just less than any of us has had.

      thank you.
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "just me" <hifa222@...> wrote:

        > how can you check the calibration of your alcoholmeter? i have 2 and 1 reads 95 and the other 92. what is the lowest proof alcohol will burn?
        > i am happy with my product but my friends don't believe my alcoholmeters are accurate because of the lack of taste,bite, and hangover after a night of imbibing. i shouldnt say lack of taste just less than any of us has had.
        >
        > thank you.

        Are you're Alcoholmeters the same? If they are different brands then it is very possible that they are calibrated at different temps. The old one I had that broke in a accident recently was calibrated for 60F but the new one that I got from Brewhaus was calibrated at 20C/68F. This could be the issue. If so then if you correct for temp(are you doing that?) you may find them both to be the same. If you are not correcting for temp then this could be the "bite" issues as well. My old hydrometer that was calibrated at 60F had a temp correction of 2 proof or 1%abv for every 5 degrees it was off. So for example, if it read 90 proof/45%abv at 75F you had to subtract 6 proof or 3%abv from the reading for temp correction. All of the sudden you booze is now 84 proof/42%abv. Not much different than store bought.
        Another thing that some people do not realize is that when you dilute high octane Spirit, there is a reaction that happen and some heat is generated. This heat causes even more correction to take place for accurate readings. In 93% spirit at 70 degrees here in Florida diluted near 50/50 with distilled water, within seconds the spirit temp will be between 80 and 85F. I wont even try to get a reading above 75F. Put it in the fridge and cool it.

        Mason
      • burrows206
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2009
          How can you check the calibration of your alcoholmeter? i have 2 and 1 reads 95 and the other 92. what is the lowest proof alcohol will burn?

          comments in line
          Hi Just me,
          I think Mason has the alcohol meter issue/question well covered

          I am happy with my product but my friends don't believe my alcoholmeters are accurate because of the lack of taste, bite, and hangover after a night of imbibing. I shouldn't say lack of taste just less than any of us has had.

          Thank you.

          I'm sorry to say "just me" there is a certain amount of ignorance going on here by your friends in knowing just what good spirit is.
          Lack of taste and lack of bite is what your friends are confusing with good quality spirit. I'm afraid they've have been drinking too much cheap "gut rot" which contain all the extra nasty's (heads and tails) that cheap booze contains hence all the hangovers and I'm feeling very fragile the following morning. And that first taste (with the cheap crap) that says
          "Oh my god what the hells that?" is I'm sorry to say all they are used to, and that is the measuring stick by which they are judging your spirit by.
          Hence no bite and no hangover will equate for them a spirit that has no balls to it, so to say.
          When I get a good drinking session going it's because I want that feel good factor that alcohol gives me and I want that nice mellow taste to my own spirit and that mature feel as I swallow and a pleasant enjoyable kick in the pit of the stomach feel and the continuing feel good factor as the session goes on. The last thing I want is the hangover (before the night is out) and the "Who just tried to rip my lower jaw off feel" when I first taste it
          I know that trying to persuade your friends that you have a vastly superior product than the so called good commercial brands is an up hill struggle and this lack of hangover is a concept they can not understand. Or is that `just me' (no-no that's you)
          But as so many on this forum have noted the lack of hangover when drinking their own spirit is a heads up that you have a good quality drink. Saying "booze" when referring to your own spirit smacks at "gut rot" and an "inferior" product (which by the sound of things is not what you have) and spirit is a better choice of word when speaking to your friends. So in future speak of your spirit as you would, a bloody good Sirloin or "T" bone steak.
          Presentation is everything. By the sound of it you have a quality drink, be proud of it, display it in the bottle as such (fancy like ) and your friends will start to take you seriously and realise what you produce is good stuff. And if and when they ever buy a bloody good $70 bottle of Scottish best and don't get a hangover maybe then they will understand jut what good spirit is
          Geoff
        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2009
            Geoff,

            All true, but rather than try to change JustMe's friends, why not just rip a batch off at maximum speed, collecting *everything*, and dilute it to about 55%. It'll wither their taste buds, scorch their tongues, and give them awful hangovers,and they'll think JustMe is a god.

            Pity.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

              Message 6 of 8 , May 4, 2009
                hi everyone, thank you for all the responses.mason they are both from Brewhaus and are for 20c/68f. are the numbers the same for these as your 60f? I have explained to my friends about heads hearts and tails. how fusil oils and congeners are left in commercial spirits. I have thought about leaving in some tails but that goes against my grain to ruin good spirits. I don't trust my friends (or myself) with 55abv. we have some pretty spirited discussions without any stronger spirits to help. does anyone know the lowest abv that  ethanol will burn?

                just me
                "....I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at
                all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I've lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."

                John Steinbeck's 'Travels With Charley'
              • rye_junkie1
                Message 7 of 8 , May 4, 2009
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "just me" <hifa222@...> wrote:

                  > hi everyone, thank you for all the responses.mason they are both from Brewhaus and are for 20c/68f. are the numbers the same for these as your 60f? I have explained to my friends about heads hearts and tails. how fusil oils and congeners are left in commercial spirits. I have thought about leaving in some tails but that goes against my grain to ruin good spirits. I don't trust my friends (or myself) with 55abv. we have some pretty spirited discussions without any stronger spirits to help. does anyone know the lowest abv that ethanol will burn?
                  >
                  > just me

                  You need to go to Ricks sight and print out the correction table he has.
                  http://www.brewhaus.com/CategoryGrid4.aspx?CategoryId=142
                  I am assuming if you have 2 then possibly one of them is the 30-60% model. That one according to Ian Smileys web sight has a correction of .2% for every 1C above or below 20C.
                  http://www.home-distilling.com/store/pc/Alcoholmeter-30-60-54p466.htm
                  If you're friends want more bite in their drink add some heads. Stay away from the tails.

                  History off "Proof"
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholic_proof

                  Mason
                • just me
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 5, 2009
                    thank you mason. i looked at ricks site and couldnt find it. and after you gave me the link it still took a minute to find it. my eye doc told me i need bifocals.  i wouldnt add tails or heads.

                    just me

                    life begins at 80.. 1.080 that is.