Re: [new_distillers] Re: Stoppers

  • Moonshine Man
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2009

      Thanks,
      I was asking cause a guy I know did the tea kettle thing and used his airlock bung, and I got to wondering if it was even safe to drink.

      Ray
      I've used those red ones for that purpose and they do work and last few cooks. However, getting a compression coupling with threads on one end is much better solution. Attach the pipe to the compression coupling part while threaded end goes through the lid. Two washers to compress the lid, a nut to compress those washers and few rounds of PTFE tape to seal it all. Costs only few bucks and is much more professional way to do it.

      Slainte, Riku

      --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, Moonshine Man <hillbilly153@ ...> wrote:

      > Hi guys, I have a question. Are those rubber bungs that are used for airlocks ok to use for the copper tubing coming out of the lid of the boiler?  I know that there are better ways, but I just wanted to know if it would do any bad things to your product if you used one.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Ray

    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Moonshine Man <hillbilly153@...> wrote:

        > Thanks,
        > I was asking cause a guy I know did the tea kettle thing and used his airlock bung, and I got to wondering if it was even safe to drink.
        >
        > Ray
        >

        > I've used those red ones for that purpose and they do work and last few cooks. However, getting a compression coupling with threads on one end is much better solution. Attach the pipe to the compression coupling part while threaded end goes through the lid. Two washers to compress the lid, a nut to compress those washers and few rounds of PTFE tape to seal it all. Costs only few bucks and is much more professional way to do it.
        >
        > Slainte, Riku

        I agree with Riku on the use of a compression fitting. I dont have any experience with the red ones he is talking about but I use to use these for my thermometer port and for ease of cleaning.
        http://www.brewhaus.com/Bung-Pure-Tan-Gum-Rubber-Lg-P1034C96.aspx
        For a long time I thought they didnt transfer any off flavors to the distillate but when I quit using them and switched to a copper cap with a compression fitting I noticed the quality of my booze got better.
        Then again it will be hard to get top quality stuff out of a tea kettle still.

        Mason
      • Moonshine Man
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2009
          Yes, I agree about the tea kettle. I didn't know about the stoppers one way or another.

          Thanks for the info.

          Ray