Re: connecting to a keg without cutting it??

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2009
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "have to ask" <bigordead@...> wrote:

      > Ok I live in an apartment right now and am still getting my research done before I get into things ( which will be when funds andcomfort with my researched knowledge get in place). but for future reference can one conect a collume to a keg without cutting it?? If you use an adapter that attaches like a beer tap to keep the keg open could that work?? also could one still get product in and out? I suppose one would have to pump or siphone out everything not distilled out.
      > Thanks all

      I just picked up 2 kegs myself to use for beer stripping. Literally for one. 30 bucks and its full. Never been tapped. Apparently the college girls that had the Keg party over estimated consumption of 3 kegs by about 1.5 kegs. For one of these I plan on using as you are implying. Looking at some of the photos in the "photos" section of both of these lists and looking at my kegs, there is a spiral snap ring that needs to be removed and then the guts can be unscrewed. I will have to get into it to see whats going on in there. Brewhaus also sell parts like this that may work.
      http://www.brewhaus.com/Tri-Clamp-to-NPT-Coupler-P957C130.aspx
      The top of my kegs looks like a triclover fitting and if that is the case then a fitting similar to that one will work.
      You can fill the keg pretty easy through the top but you will want to put a valve in the bottom for draining. I have welding access and skill for both AL and SS and plan to do this plus some fittings for internal elements. A local welding shop would do it for you as well.
      The biggest issue I see with a setup like we are talking about is that it will be very hard to clean. This is why most opt for the mixing bowl or SS pot on the top.

      Mason
    • Sherman
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2009
        http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=360
        this is a cheap and easy method to accomplish your needs. Also removing the valve is required.

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "have to ask" <bigordead@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Ok I live in an apartment right now and am still getting my research done before I get into things ( which will be when funds andcomfort with my researched knowledge get in place). but for future reference can one conect a collume to a keg without cutting it?? If you use an adapter that attaches like a beer tap to keep the keg open could that work?? also could one still get product in and out? I suppose one would have to pump or siphone out everything not distilled out.
        > > Thanks all
        > >

        > I just picked up 2 kegs myself to use for beer stripping. Literally for one. 30 bucks and its full. Never been tapped. Apparently the college girls that had the Keg party over estimated consumption of 3 kegs by about 1.5 kegs. For one of these I plan on using as you are implying. Looking at some of the photos in the "photos" section of both of these lists and looking at my kegs, there is a spiral snap ring that needs to be removed and then the guts can be unscrewed. I will have to get into it to see whats going on in there. Brewhaus also sell parts like this that may work.
        > http://www.brewhaus.com/Tri-Clamp-to-NPT-Coupler-P957C130.aspx
        > The top of my kegs looks like a triclover fitting and if that is the case then a fitting similar to that one will work.
        > You can fill the keg pretty easy through the top but you will want to put a valve in the bottom for draining. I have welding access and skill for both AL and SS and plan to do this plus some fittings for internal elements. A local welding shop would do it for you as well.
        > The biggest issue I see with a setup like we are talking about is that it will be very hard to clean. This is why most opt for the mixing bowl or SS pot on the top.
        >
        > Mason

      • shodenfreud101
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2009
          If you do not want to cut the keg the best way to connect the column is with the tri clamp and NPT adapter at brewhause. You will also need the O ring or gasket they sell. The other posts are right when they say that it will be difficult to clean. This means that you must make sure your wash has cleared completely before filling the keg. Also, a drain valve is nice but not necessary. You can just flip the keg upside down and let it drain that way. Do this while it is still hot. You will need gloves. This way you can rinse it right away and less will dry and stick to it. Also, this method assumes you are using outside heat such as gas because you would have to drill holes to get an electric element inside. The ball valve is easy to remove with a pair of needle nose pliers. Push the ball down with something to remove any air pressure inside then just grip the thin metal retaining ring with the pliers and pull it out toward the center. The spring on the ball valve is self contained so nothing should go flying. After the retaining ring is removed the whole thing should come out in one long tube. It helps to keep all the little scrap pieces of copper from construction and through them in the keg with the wash when you run it. This helps it to boil better and increases the copper contact.
        • have to ask
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2009
            Awsome thanks so much guys!!! I will be putting this to good use as soon as I can get the space. in the next couple months though I may try a small pressure cooker or somthing to get a few runs in. just to get my form down n whatnot. Thanks for real though.
            Later
            Kev