Re: Crossflow VM/LM still - Suggestions welcome

  • landrover_ffr
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2009
      > LM can be taken off from the x-flow shell. Works great.

      Good idea. I'd had though about building in a hot well originally but got sidetracked by the VM head. I might have to remove a couple of the tubes but shouldn't be a problem.

      > You dont mention a collar to center the reflux over the packing.
      Some recommend one some dont. For my 2" column I found it helped.

      I had been thinking of placing an LM head under the VM to handle the returning condensate. I might need to do something. Can I return the reflux down the centre of the VM tee?
    • Zapata Vive
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2009
        LM head under the VM head will make for hotter LM product than if you take it off the x-flow shell.  Guess how I know that?

        Instead of removing tubes, you MAY be able to bend them up in the middle to make room for the well.  (I assume you are referring to the swaged pipe that sticks up into the x-flow "T"?)  Don't know if you want to do that, but IF it worked, it'd be a lot easier than removing tubes and plugging holes.

        For a collar to center revlux, I made an ultra simple invention.  Just get a piece of bare copper wire from the hardware store.  Form it in a circle so it will pressure fit inside the top of your column, and take an end or both and bend them back to the middle.  All reflux running down the walls will now roll out along the wire and drip in the middle.  Make sure there is at least a little free space above the packing so it doesn't contact the ring or it will just run over it.

        > LM can be taken off from the x-flow shell. Works great.

        Good idea. I'd had though about building in a hot well originally but got sidetracked by the VM head. I might have to remove a couple of the tubes but shouldn't be a problem.

        > You dont mention a collar to center the reflux over the packing.
        Some recommend one some dont. For my 2" column I found it helped.

        I had been thinking of placing an LM head under the VM to handle the returning condensate. I might need to do something. Can I return the reflux down the centre of the VM tee?

      • rye_junkie1
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2009
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...> wrote:

          > For a collar to center revlux, I made an ultra simple invention. Just get a piece of bare copper wire from the hardware store. Form it in a circle so it will pressure fit inside the top of your column, and take an end or both and bend them back to the middle. All reflux running down the walls will now roll out along the wire and drip in the middle. Make sure there is at least a little free space above the packing so it doesn't contact the ring or it will just run over it.

          I'm gonna have to try that.
          Recommended wire Diameter?

          Mason