stills and recipies

  • bendtierney
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27, 2009
      Hello all,

      I was wondering if anyone has tried using a coffee pot as a still? I have almost no resources for matrials to build a home still.

      I have made some ginger beer but would like some recipies for rum. ANy advice?
    • goodyear1952
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 27, 2009

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bendtierney" <bendtierney@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I was wondering if anyone has tried using a coffee pot as a still? I have almost no resources for matrials to build a home still.
        >
        > I have made some ginger beer but would like some recipies for rum. ANy advice?

        Look under Gin on the distillers site herer is one for essense making

        Cheers Ken Mc

      • Zapata Vive
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 27, 2009
          Be forewarned that most use such small stills for making essences and flavors, not the spirit itself.  Such a small still would be incredibly difficult to make quality sprits in, and the yield would be about a shot every two runs....

          Not saying don't do it, just saying that if you really have next to no money, then making wine from fruits scavenged from dumpsters will get you drunk a lot more easily than trying to make any reasonable amount of booze from a 10 cup still.  If however you just want to slap something together to play with, then go right ahead and share your results.

          > I was wondering if anyone has tried using a coffee pot as a still? I have almost no resources for matrials to build a home still.
          >
          > I have made some ginger beer but would like some recipies for rum. ANy advice?

          Look under Gin on the distillers site herer is one for essense making

          Cheers Ken Mc

        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 27, 2009
            Bend,

            I've used one for years to make gin essence, and I just finished a solderless prototype of it, for a beginner's still in a book I'm working on. They are great little potstills, and I don't know who is the original designer.

            Go to http://www.homedistiller.org/ then to "flavouring", then to "gin". Scroll down about 1/4 of the page for a picture of it. If you're interested, I can show you what I'm playing with.

            We can talk about rum later.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bendtierney" <bendtierney@...> wrote:

            > Hello all,
            >
            > I was wondering if anyone has tried using a coffee pot as a still? I have almost no resources for matrials to build a home still.
            >
            > I have made some ginger beer but would like some recipies for rum. ANy advice?

          • Ben Tierney
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 30, 2009
              Thank you for the warning about my vol. of return (one shot is not much)

              I would like to know what the least expancive stills are to make.

              Be forewarned that most use such small stills for making essences and flavors, not the spirit itself.  Such a small still would be incredibly difficult to make quality sprits in, and the yield would be about a shot every two runs....

              Not saying don't do it, just saying that if you really have next to no money, then making wine from fruits scavenged from dumpsters will get you drunk a lot more easily than trying to make any reasonable amount of booze from a 10 cup still.  If however you just want to slap something together to play with, then go right ahead and share your results.

              > I was wondering if anyone has tried using a coffee pot as a still? I have almost no resources for matrials to build a home still.
              >
              > I have made some ginger beer but would like some recipies for rum. ANy advice?

              Look under Gin on the distillers site herer is one for essense making
              Cheers Ken Mc

            • KM Services
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 30, 2009

                The simplest and cheapest would be a pot still like this    http://tinyurl. com/czzmo9  also have a look through “our Bible Site” have included a link to a static menu so click away and have a read up  http://tinyurl.com/dywcxr   Adjusted link to work

                Ken Mc