RE: [new_distillers] Which Still to build

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4 12:51 PM
      Bob,

      > Since the heat used for the
      > reflux is less, aiming for purity ...

      Not necessarily so - you still want the same amount of heat & vapour, its
      just that you then go and return say 80-90% of the vapour back to the column
      as reflux. My choice is always to maximise the amount of heat input to suit
      the column diameter (a method which has its critics). Only in cases where
      the amount of reflux cooling is fixed would you necessarily decrease the
      heat input to get the greater purity / higher reflux ratio

      > might it not be enough to maximize vapor
      > production to get the "Flavors" over the top?

      thats basically the same method as in the "making corn whisky" book by Ian
      Smiley - reduce the amount of reflux, so that more flavours do come through.
      Its all about adjusting the ratio of reflux to vapour to get the purity you
      want. Since its a reflux, you can do it either way - decrease the reflux,
      or increase the vapour rate.

      > As to fire vs electricity, why is the latter chosen over
      > gas? Is it a safety issue or a matter of convenience?

      for me electricity is convienient. Gas is perfectly fine to use, provided
      you follow safety guidelines, like those of Davids at
      http://homedistiller.org/concept.htm

      Tony