RE: [new_distillers] Fermenting question

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 2, 2002
      > Thanks for being so considerate ;-) By the way, is this
      > supposed to be an english-language list?

      Not at this stage. If we start getting swamped with too many foreign posts,
      maybe at that stage I'll encourage the authors to consider forming their own
      newsgroup, but for now, given that "distillers" and "new distillers" appear
      to be the only live & effective newsgroups on the Internet that discuss
      distilling, I'm sure we can take all comers. I'm confident that if there's
      something different or of interest being discussed, someone will translate
      for those of us like myself who are linguistically challenged.

      Tony
    • ups474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 2, 2002
        Doubling the amount of yeast may speed it up by a couple of days.
      • stillcooker
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
          Just a quick remark, you mentioned that the liquid (water+sugar) has
          a brown color. This indicated that the temperature has been too hight
          ab dthe sugar has turned partially into caramel. This is not as easy
          to ferment as a regular sugar/watur sirup.

          Cheers

          Stillcooker
          www.geocities.com/stillcooker

          --- In new_distillers@y..., "erikstill" <erikstill@y...> wrote:
          > ENGLISH VERSION
          > ---------------
          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > A question about fermenting-times and recipes.
          >
          > A few weeks ago a started my first batch with:
          >
          > 5 Kg sugar
          > 40 gram yeast nutrient
          > 25 gram citric acid
          > 0,5 liter orange juice (not homemade but pure and without any
          > additives)
          > 2 * 7 gram of dried bakers yeast (small sachets)
          >
          > I boiled 2,5 liter of water and added the sugar (Kg by Kg) until
          > completely solved. Still boiling I added the citric acid and let it
          > boil for 15 minutes. It turned golden brown. This I put in a
          > fermenting vessel and added water (from the shower) until 24,5
          liter.
          > Then I added 0,5 liter orange juice with the yeast nutrient.
          Stirred
          > and shaken and cooled down to 20 degrees celcius, I took 0,5 liter
          of
          > this to make a yeast starter and added the yeast. After 2 hours I
          > mixed this in the fermenting vessel. I stirred this 3 times a day,
          > for 5 or 6 days long ( I had to, because if I didn't, the mash
          > stopped `bubbling' and also stopped making this sound as if there
          is
          > a lot of 7-up in the vessel – don't know the word for it).
          > After 12 more days (a small shake now and then) the SG is 0.996.
          > After 3 more days the mash looked clear to me so I distilled it.
          >
          > QUESTION: Is there a way to do a faster fermentation or is this
          > recipe why it takes so long? Has anyone recipes that are a bit
          > faster ?

          > DUTCH VERSION.
          >
          > Hallo allemaal,
          >
          > Een vraag over fermentatie en fermentatie tijden.
          >
          > Een paar weken terug heb ik mijn eerste batch gemaakt met:
          >
          > 5 Kg suiker
          > 40 gram gistvoeding
          > 25 gram citroenzuur
          > 0,5 liter sinaasappelsap uit een pak (puur sap)
          > 2 * 7 gram of gedroogde bakkersgist (kleine zakjes)
          >
          > 2,5 liter koken en daar de 5 kg. In oplossen (kilo voor kilo);
          > citroenzuur erbij en 15 min laten koken. De kleur is goudbruin. Dit
          > gaat in het vat met water uit de douchekop tot 24,5 liter. Daarbij
          de
          > Sinaasappelsap en de gistvoeding.Roeren en schudden en laten koelen
          > tot 20graden C. Met een halve liter van dit spul heb ik samen met
          de
          > gist een giststarter gemaakt die ik na 2 uur in het vat heb gemixt.
          > Zo'n 5 a 6 dagen heb ik 3 keer per dag flink geschud en heb toen
          het
          > vat nog 12 dagen laten staan (zo af en toe nog eens schudden). Het
          SG
          > is nu 0,996. Na 3 dagen ziet de mash er redelijk helder uit en heb
          ik
          > gedistilleerd.
          > VRAAG: is er een manier om de fermentatie sneller te laten verlopen
          > of ligt het aan dit recept? Heeft iemand betere/snellere recepten.
        • erik still
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
            ENGLISH VERSION
            --------------------------
            Hello Dr. M.

            Considerate as always - again a multilingual version
            this time ;)

            -The brand nutrient I'm using is 'Vinoferm' and it's
            called Nutrisal (nutri for 'nutrient' and sal is
            French for salt). There is only ammonium phosphate in
            it and no additives.

            -About the golden brown color (after inverting the
            sugar with citric acid � C6 H8 O7 H2O) : I don't know
            if caramel ferments more or less easily., and I didn�t
            know what color to look for. Maybe I boiled the sugar
            to hot or to long? I really don't know.

            -Someone told me when there is a lack of particulate
            matter, I should use pureed tomatoes (or tomato puree
            - these little 30or 50 gram cans). I�m not sure if
            the yeast likes it because of the conserving stuff in
            it.

            My new batch with 0,2 KG fresh bakers yeast got almost
            stuck after 7 days. I added 4 gram citric acid and 20
            gram nutrient - stir it 2 or 3 time a day and it looks
            happy and alive again. I don�t know if it was the acid
            or nutrient but the effervescing look fine to me.

            Good luck with reanimating your batch.

            Kind regards Erik.

            ------------------------
            DUTCH VERSION - voor de liefhebbers
            ------------------------
            Hallo Dr. M.

            �Considerate� zoals altijd � een meertalige versie
            deze keer;)

            - het merk gistvoeding dat ik gebruik is �Vinoferm� en
            heet Nutrisal .
            Het bevat alleen ammonium fosfaat en geen
            toevoegingen.

            -over de goud bruine kleur die de suiker kreeg na
            inverteren met citroenzuur - C6 H8 O7 H2O : Ik heb
            geen idee of karamel makkelijker fermenteert en ik
            weet ook niet wat de uiteindelijke kleur moet zijn.

            Iemand vertelde me dat wanneer de gist niet goed
            beweegt, ik er een klein blikje tomatenpuree bij moest
            doen. Geen idee of de gist dat wel zo prettig vindt
            met die conserveringsmiddelen.

            Mijn nieuwe batch, met 2 ons verse bakkersgist stopte
            na 7 dagen. Na toevoegen van 4 gram citroenzuur en 20
            gram gistvoeding � en 2 of 3 keer per dag schudden
            lijkt alles weer tot leven te komen.Weet niet of het
            de citroenzuur of de gistvoeding was, maar de uitstoot
            van �gas� ziet er weer goed uit.

            Succes met het reanimeren van jouw batch.

            Groeten,
            Erik.

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • erik still
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
              Hello Stillcooker,

              Thanks for the advise. I will try a lower temp next
              time.

              Kind regards,

              Erik

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            • sackerbill1
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 12, 2006
                Hi all,

                I have a question about fermenting. I just fermented my first batch and
                kept it simple with a small wash of just water and sugar. I used 12.5
                liters of water and 9lbs. of sugar and some turbo yeast. It was
                supposed to complete in 5 days at 20% alcohol but the airlock was still
                bubbling at 2 weeks, slow but still bubbling about every 13 seconds. It
                checked out at around 15% alcohol so I went ahead and cooked it off
                very slow in my reflux still and was able to get 1.8 liters of very
                clean 180 proof ethanol. Now for the question...Should I take the lid
                off about 2-3 days into fermenting and stir the wash to have it
                complete in 5 days or is it normal to take two weeks,

                Thanks in advance for any advice.
              • Jan Wouter
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 13, 2006
                  Normaly you don't use an airlock with turboyeast. Just cover up your batch,
                  or simply leave the airlock out. This allows oxygen into your batch causing
                  the yeast to multiply.
                  Further, if your temperature is not optimal, it also will take longer for
                  the fermenting to complete. I've left batches standing for over 3 weeks,
                  this only resulting in a higher yield and a better product since the wash
                  becomes clearer in the end.

                  Proost
                  Jan Wouter

                  2006/6/13, sackerbill1 <jsshort1@...>:

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > I have a question about fermenting. I just fermented my first batch and
                  > kept it simple with a small wash of just water and sugar. I used 12.5
                  > liters of water and 9lbs. of sugar and some turbo yeast. It was
                  > supposed to complete in 5 days at 20% alcohol but the airlock was still
                  > bubbling at 2 weeks, slow but still bubbling about every 13 seconds. It
                  > checked out at around 15% alcohol so I went ahead and cooked it off
                  > very slow in my reflux still and was able to get 1.8 liters of very
                  > clean 180 proof ethanol. Now for the question...Should I take the lid
                  > off about 2-3 days into fermenting and stir the wash to have it
                  > complete in 5 days or is it normal to take two weeks,
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance for any advice.

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • William Hutchins
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 13, 2006
                    I've just had my first two washes done with 8kg Turbo do pretty
                    much the same thing - no action at first, hardly any measurable
                    change in the hydrometer reading for several days, then the stuff
                    would starting working better, but still a pretty slow, week to ten
                    days fermentation.

                    The second batch was so quiet after two days that I thought I
                    was sure it was completely dead and figured I ought to try some
                    more yeast - I gave it a stirr in preparation to adding the yeast
                    and it immediately started to foam and bubble, so there were
                    huge amounts of C02 in the wash, apparently, its just they didn't
                    seem to be bubbling out the way I am used to with baking yeast
                    (of course with baking yeast I use 10 times as much!).
                  • donald holcombe
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 19, 2006
                      Allowing Oxygen into a fermenting mash only increases the possibility of bacteria growth. The bubbler is left off to allow the large amounts of CO2 to escape.

                      Jan Wouter <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote: Normaly you don't use an airlock with turboyeast. Just cover up your batch,
                      or simply leave the airlock out. This allows oxygen into your batch causing
                      the yeast to multiply.
                      Further, if your temperature is not optimal, it also will take longer for
                      the fermenting to complete. I've left batches standing for over 3 weeks,
                      this only resulting in a higher yield and a better product since the wash
                      becomes clearer in the end.

                      Proost
                      Jan Wouter

                      2006/6/13, sackerbill1 <jsshort1@...>:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > I have a question about fermenting. I just fermented my first batch and
                      > kept it simple with a small wash of just water and sugar. I used 12.5
                      > liters of water and 9lbs. of sugar and some turbo yeast. It was
                      > supposed to complete in 5 days at 20% alcohol but the airlock was still
                      > bubbling at 2 weeks, slow but still bubbling about every 13 seconds. It
                      > checked out at around 15% alcohol so I went ahead and cooked it off
                      > very slow in my reflux still and was able to get 1.8 liters of very
                      > clean 180 proof ethanol. Now for the question...Should I take the lid
                      > off about 2-3 days into fermenting and stir the wash to have it
                      > complete in 5 days or is it normal to take two weeks,
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance for any advice.

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • CJackson_98
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 20, 2006
                        When fermenting a sugar wash, how often would you open the wash to
                        stir it or would you? In the past whne making sugar washes I never
                        removed the lid to stir the wash and most of them were clean at about
                        7-10 days. I was using prepared yeast for brewing and didn't have any
                        problems making washes. Now that I am back home I can't get the
                        turbo yeast so I am expermenting around with the bakers yeast. The
                        last batch was made with 96 grams yeast and 5 kilo sugar 25 liters
                        water. After about 3 days the wash just died (nearly) after reading
                        some post and comments I added a multivitiam to the wash (crushed)
                        and the wash finished in about 8 days. Final result about 3 litres at
                        93%. So I was fairly happy.
                        Now I have a wash going and am using a different yeast. This batch
                        has 6 kilo of sugar, and 250g yeast. At first I put about 100grams and
                        the wash just sat there for about an hour. So I added another 150
                        grams and the wash took off. Then after a couple of days it slowed
                        down so I added some ketchup to the mix and now it seems to be back
                        washing. The temps on these range from 30-36c degrees while
                        ferminting. Guess I just keep pluging along with the help of the listers.

                        Charlie
                      • CJackson_98

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 20, 2006
                            Where are you that you can't get turbo yeast??? Can't you order it off
                            the web???

                            Suitcase Jr
                          • kirtgk
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 20, 2006
                              heres a good site to get turbos from and at good prices.
                              milehidistilling.com

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "CJackson_98"
                              <cjackson_98@...> wrote:

                              > When fermenting a sugar wash, how often would you open the wash to
                              > stir it or would you? In the past whne making sugar washes I
                              never
                              > removed the lid to stir the wash and most of them were clean at
                              about
                              > 7-10 days. I was using prepared yeast for brewing and didn't have
                              any
                              > problems making washes. Now that I am back home I can't get the
                              > turbo yeast so I am expermenting around with the bakers yeast.
                              The
                              > last batch was made with 96 grams yeast and 5 kilo sugar 25 liters
                              > water. After about 3 days the wash just died (nearly) after
                              reading
                              > some post and comments I added a multivitiam to the wash (crushed)
                              > and the wash finished in about 8 days. Final result about 3
                              litres at
                              > 93%. So I was fairly happy.
                              > Now I have a wash going and am using a different yeast. This
                              batch
                              > has 6 kilo of sugar, and 250g yeast. At first I put about
                              100grams and
                              > the wash just sat there for about an hour. So I added another 150
                              > grams and the wash took off. Then after a couple of days it
                              slowed
                              > down so I added some ketchup to the mix and now it seems to be
                              back
                              > washing. The temps on these range from 30-36c degrees while
                              > ferminting. Guess I just keep pluging along with the help of the
                              listers.

                              > Charlie

                            • Larry
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 20, 2006
                                >Now that I am back home I can't get the turbo yeast

                                Where is home??? Do you come from a country with no Postal Service?

                                You can get it from Sweden: http://www.partyman.se/tp_48.html
                                http://www.partyman.se/turbopure_order.html though shipping on it costs
                                more than the yeast, which means the cost is inflated. I send stuff to
                                Sweden all the time, and while it's expensive, it's nowhere near THAT
                                expensive.

                                However, they ship worldwide, and also have a list of websites all over the
                                world where you can order their stuff from closer to you, to reduce
                                shipping cost.

                                For instance, seven packets (minimum order to USA) costs $27.72, and
                                shipping it from Sweden to the USA is an extra $33.80.

                                But they have a list of places in several countries where you can buy their
                                yeast without going International.
                                http://www.partyman.se/turbopureworldwide.html

                                You can Turbo yeats in the USA at: www.brewhaus.com
                                (http://www.brewhaus.com/Turbo_Yeast_s/24.htm)
                                and at: www.milehidistilling.com
                                (http://milehidistilling.900footalien.com/yeast.htm)

                                The USA sites probably ship internationally, and cheaper than partyman.se does.

                                Barefoot Larry
                                The Tradition String Band
                                www.traditionmusic.com

                              • Tony Turner
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 20, 2006
                                  Hey Charlie,
                                  There is a great article on the homedistiller.org site that addresses all issues to do with sugar. It would help you to understand what's happening, it's a GREAT resource.

                                  Now back to your issue. table sugar needs to be inverted for it to ferment out completely. You can either boil it with a little citric acid or just ad a few things to your wash to help invert it on the fly (an over simplification). For a sugar wash add 200ml 100%orange juice, a tablespoon of unsulfered molasses, and a small can of tomato paste. You will be supprised at how well this ferments and how good it is when distilled. What I'm doing is using the "shotgun" approach to make sure the yeast have all the things they like to feast on so they can do their job.

                                  I like this better than the turbo yeast because I don't have to fuss with the banana smell that the turbos tend to give the mash and if it takes a couple of days longer... so what, I normally have several different washes going at once anyway.

                                  I bought some Black Label turbo yeast and I hope I get better results with it. The 48 turbo will give high alcohol content in about 10 days but even after I distilled it 3 times up to 93% and I could still detect the faint banana smell when mixed with water. I ran it throught carbon and it was better but not perfect --- I may just be to picky but my wife likes it to taste like water with a burn (fire water) and I'm able to get that with my way after 3 still runs and cut it to 45% then bottle it.

                                  Good luck,
                                  Tony T

                                  CJackson_98 <cjackson_98@...> wrote: When fermenting a sugar wash, how often would you open the wash to

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 21, 2006
                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry <larry@...> wrote:

                                    > >Now that I am back home I can't get the turbo yeast
                                    >
                                    > Where is home??? Do you come from a country with no Postal
                                    Service?
                                    Larry & Suitcase,

                                    Let's just say that money is no object, but the plastic is. Plus if I'm
                                    going to do this for myself, I have to make use of local materials. The
                                    yeast and nutrients are the big ones now that I am experminting with.

                                    To put things in perspective in relation to the pricing that you quoted,
                                    my sugar cost me 16 baht a kilo, the yeast that I'm using now or that I
                                    used on the last batch which seems better than what I'm using now cost
                                    16 baht for 16 grams. With the baht at 37 to 1 usd I'm not paying much
                                    for a wash, so I would like to add vitiams, orange juice, etc to get things
                                    to work. Most of my ferminting temps are going to be above 30c. I
                                    would like to get a batch off in 10 days or less. Right now I'm just
                                    experminting and passing along anything that I have learned. Thanks to
                                    all who have responded, but I'm trying to use local products as they are
                                    cheap.