RE: [new_distillers] Re: Air Still was:........ Obtaining a permit to distill

  • KM Services
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 1, 2009

      What was it labeled as an alcohol still? or a water purifier? Still Spirits are well respected company within the home distillation scene have made a purpose made item. There has been a range of look a likes coming out of china, but would be very careful of them as them the materials could be anything? If it is a water purifier I would not muck around with it as it is not made for the job. If you are going to all that trouble get a stock pot, some copper pipe and make a simple pot still and play safe

      Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

      Moderator :  Y! new_distillers    Y! Distillers

      Forums Info:  FAQ    Policy    Settings

      I have a few questions about the Air Still/Still Spirits still. I got one off of eBay, and though it's not labeled as an Air Still, it appears to be exactly the same product. I suspect the same manufacturer makes them all, then Air Still slaps a few stickers on it and calls it good. Anyhow, I read somewhere else that there are a few modifications that I can do to make it more efficient, like put a daub of silver solder on the chlorine-bleed hole in the condenser. I took the condenser lid apart and found the hole, and will be covering that up tonight. But has anyone figured out a way to get a thermometer mounted near the off-take to the condenser for monitoring temps?

      And what about adding copper into the condenser flow, perhaps near the off-take end of the tubing? Any experience?

      I see on the "Files" section of the group that there used to be some photos of Air Still modifications, but they seem to be unavailable when I click on them. Anyone have some pics of a working Air Still rig?

    • thepiro
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 19, 2009
        Even with the Raschig rings and the copper wire in the pot I have had bubbling over, so I tie the lid down by securing the lid to the pot with a luggage strap.

        When using a turbo Sugar wash I tend to strip of as much of the alcohol as I can, then filter it. My next run will come out about 60% and my final run is at 80%.

        My whisky run was managed the same way but starting with a lower strength wash it took 2 runs to get to 30% and the 3rd run gave me the desired result of 60% of good drinking licker.

        The air still is a lot of work, but it has kept me and mine in good boos, it has given me many hours of enjoyment, but I still hanker for the day when it is relegated to a water purifier and I have a big brass thing bubbling away in the yard.

        Regards

        Thepiro