Re: Educate me on Internal Heaters for my Boiler

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "michaelgiedrys" <michaelgiedrys@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the replies and information, very helpful.
      >
      > How does one control the heat when using the internal elements any advice on best practices for this?
      >
      > Also - would I be best off just starting out using a quality 1500W external hot plate under my boiler? Or would that add a long time to the run?
      >
      > thanks guys, just really getting into this, cool new hobby.

      Currently I just pick the element for the Job. If I want to do a spirit run around 750watts I use a 3500w 240v element and run it on 120V. I know Pint(Sherman) sells a controller for this and I think they are pretty reasonable and Harbor freight sells a Router speed controller that I have heard works well also.
      http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43060

      Mason
    • sosburner@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
        Check homedistiler.org for still plans. The internal heating elements have to screw into a flange that is welded to go through the still wall and be water tight. Wiring is simple as 120 has only two wires. Control is another story.
      • Seth Kircher
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
          While we are on the subject...

          For those of you who are using hot plates (and are running 120 v electricity) can you offer some advice on which hot plates to consider for running a PDA-1?

          Sorry if this was already covered in an earlier thread...