Re: Educate me on Internal Heaters for my Boiler

  • michaelgiedrys
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
      Thanks for the replies and information, very helpful.

      How does one control the heat when using the internal elements any advice on best practices for this?

      Also - would I be best off just starting out using a quality 1500W external hot plate under my boiler? Or would that add a long time to the run?

      thanks guys, just really getting into this, cool new hobby.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "michaelgiedrys" <michaelgiedrys@...> wrote:

      > I'll soon be taking delivery of a PDA-1, I'm not sure what I'll be using
      > yet as a boiler, they have a nice looking 10 gallon boiler that connects
      > directly to the PDA-1
      > You can take a look here:
      > http://www.amphora-society.com/10-gallon-high-quality-boilerfermenter_p_\
      > 8.html
      > <http://www.amphora-society.com/10-gallon-high-quality-boilerfermenter_p\
      > _8.html>
      >
      > I've done a few runs in the past using a friends still, but his is
      > propane heated. He's moved away recently which has prompted me to get my
      > own still, I have an ideal location indoors to set up a little ferment
      > and still area but without the needed ventilation to use propane, so I'd
      > like to go with an electric heat source. My thinking is that it will be
      > far better to have the heater inside the boiler, would I be able to do
      > that with the boiler above? I could also scrounge up a 15 gallon keg to
      > use as a boiler but I have zero welding ability and no access to welding
      > equipment.
      >
      > I've read that we should use internal heating elements from electric
      > water heater, but how would these be mounted inside the boiler/keg and
      > then wired up for operation?
      >
      > thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "michaelgiedrys" <michaelgiedrys@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the replies and information, very helpful.
        >
        > How does one control the heat when using the internal elements any advice on best practices for this?
        >
        > Also - would I be best off just starting out using a quality 1500W external hot plate under my boiler? Or would that add a long time to the run?
        >
        > thanks guys, just really getting into this, cool new hobby.

        Currently I just pick the element for the Job. If I want to do a spirit run around 750watts I use a 3500w 240v element and run it on 120V. I know Pint(Sherman) sells a controller for this and I think they are pretty reasonable and Harbor freight sells a Router speed controller that I have heard works well also.
        http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43060

        Mason
      • sosburner@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
          Check homedistiler.org for still plans. The internal heating elements have to screw into a flange that is welded to go through the still wall and be water tight. Wiring is simple as 120 has only two wires. Control is another story.
        • Seth Kircher
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
            While we are on the subject...

            For those of you who are using hot plates (and are running 120 v electricity) can you offer some advice on which hot plates to consider for running a PDA-1?

            Sorry if this was already covered in an earlier thread...