Re: Distillation of Mead

  • cestujici2
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 1, 2009
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rasputin Paracelsus <rasputin@...> wrote:
      > I've been making a very nice mead for the last few years. Now I'm
      > thinking of making a spirit from it.
      >
      > Does anyone have experience or advice in this area?

      No experience myself, but I sure am curious if someone can characterize what the spirit tastes like.
    • thepiro
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 19, 2009
        Even with the Raschig rings and the copper wire in the pot I have had bubbling over, so I tie the lid down by securing the lid to the pot with a luggage strap.

        When using a turbo Sugar wash I tend to strip of as much of the alcohol as I can, then filter it. My next run will come out about 60% and my final run is at 80%.

        My whisky run was managed the same way but starting with a lower strength wash it took 2 runs to get to 30% and the 3rd run gave me the desired result of 60% of good drinking licker.

        The air still is a lot of work, but it has kept me and mine in good boos, it has given me many hours of enjoyment, but I still hanker for the day when it is relegated to a water purifier and I have a big brass thing bubbling away in the yard.

        Regards

        Thepiro