Re: [new_distillers] Educate me on Internal Heaters for my Boiler

  • Mike Nevakshonoff
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009

      From: michaelgiedrys <michaelgiedrys@...>
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 7:23:32 AM
      Subject: [new_distillers] Educate me on Internal Heaters for my Boiler

      On the last boiler I built, I simply bought 3  1" npt (nationl pipe thread) nipples and welded them into the bottom of the boiler. The elements are 1400 watts @ 110 volts. They are the same ones used in water heaters.  They then just screw into the nipples. The nipples where staggered, starting 2" from the bottom to the top one being 5' from the bottom. I start by using all three elements to get things up to temperature, then simply start turning them off to maintain the correct temp. The one element is on a regulator to control the temp more accuratly.
       If you can't weld, or don't have access to welding equipment, just take it to a shop and they will probably do it for a bottle of the end product!!

      Mike N.

      I'll soon be taking delivery of a PDA-1, I'm not sure what I'll be using yet as a boiler, they have a nice looking 10 gallon boiler that connects directly to the PDA-1
      You can take a look here: http://www.amphora- society.com/ 10-gallon- high-quality- boilerfermenter_ p_8.html

      I've done a few runs in the past using a friends still, but his is propane heated. He's moved away recently which has prompted me to get my own still, I have an ideal location indoors to set up a little ferment and still area but without the needed ventilation to use propane, so I'd like to go with an electric heat source. My thinking is that it will be far better to have the heater inside the boiler, would I be able to do that with the boiler above? I could also scrounge up a 15 gallon keg to use as a boiler but I have zero welding ability and no access to welding equipment.

      I've read that we should use internal heating elements from electric water heater, but how would these be mounted inside the boiler/keg and then wired up for operation?

      thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

    • michaelgiedrys
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
        Thanks for the replies and information, very helpful.

        How does one control the heat when using the internal elements any advice on best practices for this?

        Also - would I be best off just starting out using a quality 1500W external hot plate under my boiler? Or would that add a long time to the run?

        thanks guys, just really getting into this, cool new hobby.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "michaelgiedrys" <michaelgiedrys@...> wrote:

        > I'll soon be taking delivery of a PDA-1, I'm not sure what I'll be using
        > yet as a boiler, they have a nice looking 10 gallon boiler that connects
        > directly to the PDA-1
        > You can take a look here:
        > http://www.amphora-society.com/10-gallon-high-quality-boilerfermenter_p_\
        > 8.html
        > <http://www.amphora-society.com/10-gallon-high-quality-boilerfermenter_p\
        > _8.html>
        >
        > I've done a few runs in the past using a friends still, but his is
        > propane heated. He's moved away recently which has prompted me to get my
        > own still, I have an ideal location indoors to set up a little ferment
        > and still area but without the needed ventilation to use propane, so I'd
        > like to go with an electric heat source. My thinking is that it will be
        > far better to have the heater inside the boiler, would I be able to do
        > that with the boiler above? I could also scrounge up a 15 gallon keg to
        > use as a boiler but I have zero welding ability and no access to welding
        > equipment.
        >
        > I've read that we should use internal heating elements from electric
        > water heater, but how would these be mounted inside the boiler/keg and
        > then wired up for operation?
        >
        > thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

      • rye_junkie1
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "michaelgiedrys" <michaelgiedrys@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the replies and information, very helpful.
          >
          > How does one control the heat when using the internal elements any advice on best practices for this?
          >
          > Also - would I be best off just starting out using a quality 1500W external hot plate under my boiler? Or would that add a long time to the run?
          >
          > thanks guys, just really getting into this, cool new hobby.

          Currently I just pick the element for the Job. If I want to do a spirit run around 750watts I use a 3500w 240v element and run it on 120V. I know Pint(Sherman) sells a controller for this and I think they are pretty reasonable and Harbor freight sells a Router speed controller that I have heard works well also.
          http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43060

          Mason
        • sosburner@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
            Check homedistiler.org for still plans. The internal heating elements have to screw into a flange that is welded to go through the still wall and be water tight. Wiring is simple as 120 has only two wires. Control is another story.
          • Seth Kircher
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2009
              While we are on the subject...

              For those of you who are using hot plates (and are running 120 v electricity) can you offer some advice on which hot plates to consider for running a PDA-1?

              Sorry if this was already covered in an earlier thread...