Re: [new_distillers] aluminium kegs and crap like that.

  • Michael Spottswood
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
      I was going to use an aluminum keg, but found that no welder in town could
      attach copper to it. I am left with either building a large flange or
      picking up a stainless keg to use instead.
      Mike

      >From: "gimpoftheweek" <walpole2000@...>
      >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [new_distillers] aluminium kegs and crap like that.
      >Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 11:23:16 -0000
      >
      >what is wrong with using aluminium kegs as a boiler, and also
      >galvanised kegs, how can you tell what ya keg is made from?

    • cornfed62
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
        http://www.mcmaster.com/ There are photos here of flange fittings in
        either brass or stainless steel or even aluminum. The flanges have
        threaded connections to attach the pipe and also bolt patterns to
        connect to the keg lid top. This is just an idea to consider also.

        --- In new_distillers@y..., "Michael Spottswood" <mikespotts@h...>
        wrote:
        > I was going to use an aluminum keg, but found that no welder in
        town could
        > attach copper to it. I am left with either building a large flange
        or
        > picking up a stainless keg to use instead.
        > Mike
        >
        > >From: "gimpoftheweek" <walpole2000@h...>
        > >To: new_distillers@y...
        > >Subject: [new_distillers] aluminium kegs and crap like that.
        > >Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 11:23:16 -0000
        > >
        > >what is wrong with using aluminium kegs as a boiler, and also
        > >galvanised kegs, how can you tell what ya keg is made from?

      • Brian Shell - BDS (SC)
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
          If you are in the US a national plumbing supply company such as Ferguson
          will have a female/bolt on flange you can mount to the boiler. It will by
          female to accept the column and the have a flange with bolt holes to attach
          to the boiler. I would assume that a plumbing supply shop could order you
          one regardless of where you live. I paid about $25 US for one. I also
          bought a couple of unions and installed one above the flange and another
          below the still head/condensor tee. This allows me to break the column down
          for cleaning/storage.

        • John Vandermeulen
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
            Hello,
            The simplest connection would be one that is easily connected and disconnected.
            I recall some discussion re a union from the dairy industry/cow milking
            machines. Brewhaus (Calgary) showed one in their on-line catalogue the last
            time I looked.
            John V