Re: Distillation of Mead

  • thepiro
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 1, 2009
      -I was heavily into beekeeping and made mead regularly, winning prises at local and national level.

      Using modern methods you can cut the production time right down without affecting the quality of the brew.

      I did try using turbo yeast on one run but it was a disaster as it kept eating honey and I ditched it as I didn't have a still at the time.

      I will try and PM you the article/recipe I produce on the method I used. Don't want to put the link on the forum as it has my identity on the article.

      Regards

      The Piro
      -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rasputin Paracelsus <rasputin@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I've been making a very nice mead for the last few years. Now I'm
      > thinking of making a spirit from it.
      >
      > It takes quite a long time to ferment normally (months), and it's not
      > totally dry. Fine for mead, but less ideal (I would think) for distillation.
      >
      > So I was thinking about maybe using a Turbo Yeast and nutrients. I've
      > read a little on home-distilling.org, but no comments on that aspect.
      >
      > Does anyone have experience or advice in this area?
      >
      > Many thanks,

    • thepiro
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 19, 2009
        Even with the Raschig rings and the copper wire in the pot I have had bubbling over, so I tie the lid down by securing the lid to the pot with a luggage strap.

        When using a turbo Sugar wash I tend to strip of as much of the alcohol as I can, then filter it. My next run will come out about 60% and my final run is at 80%.

        My whisky run was managed the same way but starting with a lower strength wash it took 2 runs to get to 30% and the 3rd run gave me the desired result of 60% of good drinking licker.

        The air still is a lot of work, but it has kept me and mine in good boos, it has given me many hours of enjoyment, but I still hanker for the day when it is relegated to a water purifier and I have a big brass thing bubbling away in the yard.

        Regards

        Thepiro