Re: [new_distillers] aluminium kegs and crap like that.

  • Dr. M. Legendre
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
      On Tue, 02 Apr 2002 11:23:16 -0000
      "gimpoftheweek" <walpole2000@...> wrote:

      > what is wrong with using aluminium kegs as a boiler, and also
      > galvanised kegs, how can you tell what ya keg is made from?

      I have never seen a galvanized beer keg, but I do suppose that they might
      have been in use at one time. I know for a fact that old milkcans were
      galvanized, I own one.

      It's easy to separate galvanized steel from either stainless or aluminum,
      as galvanized steel will strongly attract a magnet. Stainless, depending
      on it's composition may or may _not_ be 100% 'antimagnetic'. A lot of
      stainless will _lightly_ attract a magnet, whereas aluminum will not
      attract it at all.

      Also, stainless steel is about 4 times heavier than aluminum.. a 16 gal
      aluminum beer keg feels like a feather compared to a stainless one of the
      same size.

      Stainless steel is much harder than aluminum as well - aluminum can be
      deeply marked with a penknife or awl (sometimes even a fingernail),
      whereas you will just lightly scratch the surface of stainless.

      Finally, stainless is often marked as such - common terms are: stainless,
      rustless, rostfrei, inox etc. Numeric designators are also common: 440,
      505, etc..

      -- Dr. M. Legendre
    • Michael Spottswood
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
        I was going to use an aluminum keg, but found that no welder in town could
        attach copper to it. I am left with either building a large flange or
        picking up a stainless keg to use instead.
        Mike

        >From: "gimpoftheweek" <walpole2000@...>
        >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [new_distillers] aluminium kegs and crap like that.
        >Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 11:23:16 -0000
        >
        >what is wrong with using aluminium kegs as a boiler, and also
        >galvanised kegs, how can you tell what ya keg is made from?

      • cornfed62
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
          http://www.mcmaster.com/ There are photos here of flange fittings in
          either brass or stainless steel or even aluminum. The flanges have
          threaded connections to attach the pipe and also bolt patterns to
          connect to the keg lid top. This is just an idea to consider also.

          --- In new_distillers@y..., "Michael Spottswood" <mikespotts@h...>
          wrote:
          > I was going to use an aluminum keg, but found that no welder in
          town could
          > attach copper to it. I am left with either building a large flange
          or
          > picking up a stainless keg to use instead.
          > Mike
          >
          > >From: "gimpoftheweek" <walpole2000@h...>
          > >To: new_distillers@y...
          > >Subject: [new_distillers] aluminium kegs and crap like that.
          > >Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 11:23:16 -0000
          > >
          > >what is wrong with using aluminium kegs as a boiler, and also
          > >galvanised kegs, how can you tell what ya keg is made from?

        • Brian Shell - BDS (SC)
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
            If you are in the US a national plumbing supply company such as Ferguson
            will have a female/bolt on flange you can mount to the boiler. It will by
            female to accept the column and the have a flange with bolt holes to attach
            to the boiler. I would assume that a plumbing supply shop could order you
            one regardless of where you live. I paid about $25 US for one. I also
            bought a couple of unions and installed one above the flange and another
            below the still head/condensor tee. This allows me to break the column down
            for cleaning/storage.

          • John Vandermeulen
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
              Hello,
              The simplest connection would be one that is easily connected and disconnected.
              I recall some discussion re a union from the dairy industry/cow milking
              machines. Brewhaus (Calgary) showed one in their on-line catalogue the last
              time I looked.
              John V