Fermenting question

  • erikstill
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 2, 2002
      ENGLISH VERSION
      ---------------
      Hello everyone,

      A question about fermenting-times and recipes.

      A few weeks ago a started my first batch with:

      5 Kg sugar
      40 gram yeast nutrient
      25 gram citric acid
      0,5 liter orange juice (not homemade but pure and without any
      additives)
      2 * 7 gram of dried bakers yeast (small sachets)

      I boiled 2,5 liter of water and added the sugar (Kg by Kg) until
      completely solved. Still boiling I added the citric acid and let it
      boil for 15 minutes. It turned golden brown. This I put in a
      fermenting vessel and added water (from the shower) until 24,5 liter.
      Then I added 0,5 liter orange juice with the yeast nutrient. Stirred
      and shaken and cooled down to 20 degrees celcius, I took 0,5 liter of
      this to make a yeast starter and added the yeast. After 2 hours I
      mixed this in the fermenting vessel. I stirred this 3 times a day,
      for 5 or 6 days long ( I had to, because if I didn't, the mash
      stopped `bubbling' and also stopped making this sound as if there is
      a lot of 7-up in the vessel – don't know the word for it).
      After 12 more days (a small shake now and then) the SG is 0.996.
      After 3 more days the mash looked clear to me so I distilled it.

      QUESTION: Is there a way to do a faster fermentation or is this
      recipe why it takes so long? Has anyone recipes that are a bit
      faster ?

      DUTCH VERSION.

      Hallo allemaal,

      Een vraag over fermentatie en fermentatie tijden.

      Een paar weken terug heb ik mijn eerste batch gemaakt met:

      5 Kg suiker
      40 gram gistvoeding
      25 gram citroenzuur
      0,5 liter sinaasappelsap uit een pak (puur sap)
      2 * 7 gram of gedroogde bakkersgist (kleine zakjes)

      2,5 liter koken en daar de 5 kg. In oplossen (kilo voor kilo);
      citroenzuur erbij en 15 min laten koken. De kleur is goudbruin. Dit
      gaat in het vat met water uit de douchekop tot 24,5 liter. Daarbij de
      Sinaasappelsap en de gistvoeding.Roeren en schudden en laten koelen
      tot 20graden C. Met een halve liter van dit spul heb ik samen met de
      gist een giststarter gemaakt die ik na 2 uur in het vat heb gemixt.
      Zo'n 5 a 6 dagen heb ik 3 keer per dag flink geschud en heb toen het
      vat nog 12 dagen laten staan (zo af en toe nog eens schudden). Het SG
      is nu 0,996. Na 3 dagen ziet de mash er redelijk helder uit en heb ik
      gedistilleerd.
      VRAAG: is er een manier om de fermentatie sneller te laten verlopen
      of ligt het aan dit recept? Heeft iemand betere/snellere recepten.
    • Dr. M. Legendre
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 2, 2002
        On Tue, 02 Apr 2002 14:49:24 -0000
        "erikstill" <erikstill@...> wrote:

        > ENGLISH VERSION

        Thanks for being so considerate ;-) By the way, is this supposed to be an
        english-language list?

        > 40 gram yeast nutrient

        Could you elaborate on that? What brand of nutrient, and what is it's
        composition? Is this just a DAP/Urea pellet, or more like Fermaid or
        Wyeast nutrient?

        > I boiled 2,5 liter of water and added the sugar (Kg by Kg) until
        > completely solved. Still boiling I added the citric acid and let it
        > boil for 15 minutes. It turned golden brown.

        Golden brown is past inversion, and into the caramel stage.. Does caramel
        ferment more or less easily?

        >I stirred this 3 times a day,
        > for 5 or 6 days long

        As I understand it, this may be due to a lack of particulate matter in the
        wash to help keep the yeasts in suspension. Certain yeast nutrient (like
        Wyeast Nutrient) contains particulate (inert, even?) matter to help this
        process.

        >( I had to, because if I didn't, the mash
        > stopped `bubbling' and also stopped making this sound as if there is
        > a lot of 7-up in the vessel _ don't know the word for it).

        The english word for this is 'effervesence' - possessing or producing gas.

        Main Entry: ef·fer·vesce
        Pronunciation: "e-f&r-'ves
        Function: intransitive verb
        Inflected Form(s): -vesced; -vesc·ing
        Etymology: Latin effervescere, from ex- + fervescere to begin to boil,
        inchoative of fervEre to boil -- more at BREW Date: 1784
        1 : to bubble, hiss, and foam as gas escapes
        2 : to show liveliness or exhilaration
        - ef·fer·ves·cence /-'ve-s&n(t)s/ noun
        - ef·fer·ves·cent /-s&nt/ adjective
        - ef·fer·ves·cent·ly adverb

        > After 12 more days (a small shake now and then) the SG is 0.996.
        > After 3 more days the mash looked clear to me so I distilled it.
        >
        > QUESTION: Is there a way to do a faster fermentation or is this
        > recipe why it takes so long? Has anyone recipes that are a bit
        > faster ?

        Heh, I made a _very_ similar batch to this, it was started 4 weeks ago,
        and it is still at SG 1.026, falling ever so slowly... My nutrient was DAP
        & Urea, and I used the RedStar Pasteur Champagne yeast (two 5g satchets)

        To be honest, my fermentations still suck, and I am going to cheat for a
        while by purchasing some of the Alcotec 6 & 8kg turbos. By the time I use
        them up, hopefully my yeast horticulture will have advanced to a more
        useful stage.

        -- Dr. M. Legendre
      • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 2, 2002
          > Thanks for being so considerate ;-) By the way, is this
          > supposed to be an english-language list?

          Not at this stage. If we start getting swamped with too many foreign posts,
          maybe at that stage I'll encourage the authors to consider forming their own
          newsgroup, but for now, given that "distillers" and "new distillers" appear
          to be the only live & effective newsgroups on the Internet that discuss
          distilling, I'm sure we can take all comers. I'm confident that if there's
          something different or of interest being discussed, someone will translate
          for those of us like myself who are linguistically challenged.

          Tony
        • ups474@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 2, 2002
            Doubling the amount of yeast may speed it up by a couple of days.
          • stillcooker
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
              Just a quick remark, you mentioned that the liquid (water+sugar) has
              a brown color. This indicated that the temperature has been too hight
              ab dthe sugar has turned partially into caramel. This is not as easy
              to ferment as a regular sugar/watur sirup.

              Cheers

              Stillcooker
              www.geocities.com/stillcooker

            • erik still
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                ENGLISH VERSION
                --------------------------
                Hello Dr. M.

                Considerate as always - again a multilingual version
                this time ;)

                -The brand nutrient I'm using is 'Vinoferm' and it's
                called Nutrisal (nutri for 'nutrient' and sal is
                French for salt). There is only ammonium phosphate in
                it and no additives.

                -About the golden brown color (after inverting the
                sugar with citric acid � C6 H8 O7 H2O) : I don't know
                if caramel ferments more or less easily., and I didn�t
                know what color to look for. Maybe I boiled the sugar
                to hot or to long? I really don't know.

                -Someone told me when there is a lack of particulate
                matter, I should use pureed tomatoes (or tomato puree
                - these little 30or 50 gram cans). I�m not sure if
                the yeast likes it because of the conserving stuff in
                it.

                My new batch with 0,2 KG fresh bakers yeast got almost
                stuck after 7 days. I added 4 gram citric acid and 20
                gram nutrient - stir it 2 or 3 time a day and it looks
                happy and alive again. I don�t know if it was the acid
                or nutrient but the effervescing look fine to me.

                Good luck with reanimating your batch.

                Kind regards Erik.

                ------------------------
                DUTCH VERSION - voor de liefhebbers
                ------------------------
                Hallo Dr. M.

                �Considerate� zoals altijd � een meertalige versie
                deze keer;)

                - het merk gistvoeding dat ik gebruik is �Vinoferm� en
                heet Nutrisal .
                Het bevat alleen ammonium fosfaat en geen
                toevoegingen.

                -over de goud bruine kleur die de suiker kreeg na
                inverteren met citroenzuur - C6 H8 O7 H2O : Ik heb
                geen idee of karamel makkelijker fermenteert en ik
                weet ook niet wat de uiteindelijke kleur moet zijn.

                Iemand vertelde me dat wanneer de gist niet goed
                beweegt, ik er een klein blikje tomatenpuree bij moest
                doen. Geen idee of de gist dat wel zo prettig vindt
                met die conserveringsmiddelen.

                Mijn nieuwe batch, met 2 ons verse bakkersgist stopte
                na 7 dagen. Na toevoegen van 4 gram citroenzuur en 20
                gram gistvoeding � en 2 of 3 keer per dag schudden
                lijkt alles weer tot leven te komen.Weet niet of het
                de citroenzuur of de gistvoeding was, maar de uitstoot
                van �gas� ziet er weer goed uit.

                Succes met het reanimeren van jouw batch.

                Groeten,
                Erik.

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
              • erik still
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                  Hello Stillcooker,

                  Thanks for the advise. I will try a lower temp next
                  time.

                  Kind regards,

                  Erik

                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                • sackerbill1
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 12, 2006
                    Hi all,

                    I have a question about fermenting. I just fermented my first batch and
                    kept it simple with a small wash of just water and sugar. I used 12.5
                    liters of water and 9lbs. of sugar and some turbo yeast. It was
                    supposed to complete in 5 days at 20% alcohol but the airlock was still
                    bubbling at 2 weeks, slow but still bubbling about every 13 seconds. It
                    checked out at around 15% alcohol so I went ahead and cooked it off
                    very slow in my reflux still and was able to get 1.8 liters of very
                    clean 180 proof ethanol. Now for the question...Should I take the lid
                    off about 2-3 days into fermenting and stir the wash to have it
                    complete in 5 days or is it normal to take two weeks,

                    Thanks in advance for any advice.
                  • Jan Wouter
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 13, 2006
                      Normaly you don't use an airlock with turboyeast. Just cover up your batch,
                      or simply leave the airlock out. This allows oxygen into your batch causing
                      the yeast to multiply.
                      Further, if your temperature is not optimal, it also will take longer for
                      the fermenting to complete. I've left batches standing for over 3 weeks,
                      this only resulting in a higher yield and a better product since the wash
                      becomes clearer in the end.

                      Proost
                      Jan Wouter

                      2006/6/13, sackerbill1 <jsshort1@...>:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > I have a question about fermenting. I just fermented my first batch and
                      > kept it simple with a small wash of just water and sugar. I used 12.5
                      > liters of water and 9lbs. of sugar and some turbo yeast. It was
                      > supposed to complete in 5 days at 20% alcohol but the airlock was still
                      > bubbling at 2 weeks, slow but still bubbling about every 13 seconds. It
                      > checked out at around 15% alcohol so I went ahead and cooked it off
                      > very slow in my reflux still and was able to get 1.8 liters of very
                      > clean 180 proof ethanol. Now for the question...Should I take the lid
                      > off about 2-3 days into fermenting and stir the wash to have it
                      > complete in 5 days or is it normal to take two weeks,
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance for any advice.

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • William Hutchins
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 13, 2006
                        I've just had my first two washes done with 8kg Turbo do pretty
                        much the same thing - no action at first, hardly any measurable
                        change in the hydrometer reading for several days, then the stuff
                        would starting working better, but still a pretty slow, week to ten
                        days fermentation.

                        The second batch was so quiet after two days that I thought I
                        was sure it was completely dead and figured I ought to try some
                        more yeast - I gave it a stirr in preparation to adding the yeast
                        and it immediately started to foam and bubble, so there were
                        huge amounts of C02 in the wash, apparently, its just they didn't
                        seem to be bubbling out the way I am used to with baking yeast
                        (of course with baking yeast I use 10 times as much!).
                      • donald holcombe
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 19, 2006
                          Allowing Oxygen into a fermenting mash only increases the possibility of bacteria growth. The bubbler is left off to allow the large amounts of CO2 to escape.

                          Jan Wouter <janwouter.mailgroups@...> wrote: Normaly you don't use an airlock with turboyeast. Just cover up your batch,
                          or simply leave the airlock out. This allows oxygen into your batch causing
                          the yeast to multiply.
                          Further, if your temperature is not optimal, it also will take longer for
                          the fermenting to complete. I've left batches standing for over 3 weeks,
                          this only resulting in a higher yield and a better product since the wash
                          becomes clearer in the end.

                          Proost
                          Jan Wouter

                          2006/6/13, sackerbill1 <jsshort1@...>:

                          > Hi all,
                          >
                          > I have a question about fermenting. I just fermented my first batch and
                          > kept it simple with a small wash of just water and sugar. I used 12.5
                          > liters of water and 9lbs. of sugar and some turbo yeast. It was
                          > supposed to complete in 5 days at 20% alcohol but the airlock was still
                          > bubbling at 2 weeks, slow but still bubbling about every 13 seconds. It
                          > checked out at around 15% alcohol so I went ahead and cooked it off
                          > very slow in my reflux still and was able to get 1.8 liters of very
                          > clean 180 proof ethanol. Now for the question...Should I take the lid
                          > off about 2-3 days into fermenting and stir the wash to have it
                          > complete in 5 days or is it normal to take two weeks,
                          >
                          > Thanks in advance for any advice.

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • CJackson_98
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 20, 2006
                            When fermenting a sugar wash, how often would you open the wash to
                            stir it or would you? In the past whne making sugar washes I never
                            removed the lid to stir the wash and most of them were clean at about
                            7-10 days. I was using prepared yeast for brewing and didn't have any
                            problems making washes. Now that I am back home I can't get the
                            turbo yeast so I am expermenting around with the bakers yeast. The
                            last batch was made with 96 grams yeast and 5 kilo sugar 25 liters
                            water. After about 3 days the wash just died (nearly) after reading
                            some post and comments I added a multivitiam to the wash (crushed)
                            and the wash finished in about 8 days. Final result about 3 litres at
                            93%. So I was fairly happy.
                            Now I have a wash going and am using a different yeast. This batch
                            has 6 kilo of sugar, and 250g yeast. At first I put about 100grams and
                            the wash just sat there for about an hour. So I added another 150
                            grams and the wash took off. Then after a couple of days it slowed
                            down so I added some ketchup to the mix and now it seems to be back
                            washing. The temps on these range from 30-36c degrees while
                            ferminting. Guess I just keep pluging along with the help of the listers.

                            Charlie
                          • CJackson_98

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 20, 2006
                                Where are you that you can't get turbo yeast??? Can't you order it off
                                the web???

                                Suitcase Jr
                              • kirtgk
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 20, 2006
                                  heres a good site to get turbos from and at good prices.
                                  milehidistilling.com

                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "CJackson_98"
                                  <cjackson_98@...> wrote:

                                  > When fermenting a sugar wash, how often would you open the wash to
                                  > stir it or would you? In the past whne making sugar washes I
                                  never
                                  > removed the lid to stir the wash and most of them were clean at
                                  about
                                  > 7-10 days. I was using prepared yeast for brewing and didn't have
                                  any
                                  > problems making washes. Now that I am back home I can't get the
                                  > turbo yeast so I am expermenting around with the bakers yeast.
                                  The
                                  > last batch was made with 96 grams yeast and 5 kilo sugar 25 liters
                                  > water. After about 3 days the wash just died (nearly) after
                                  reading
                                  > some post and comments I added a multivitiam to the wash (crushed)
                                  > and the wash finished in about 8 days. Final result about 3
                                  litres at
                                  > 93%. So I was fairly happy.
                                  > Now I have a wash going and am using a different yeast. This
                                  batch
                                  > has 6 kilo of sugar, and 250g yeast. At first I put about
                                  100grams and
                                  > the wash just sat there for about an hour. So I added another 150
                                  > grams and the wash took off. Then after a couple of days it
                                  slowed
                                  > down so I added some ketchup to the mix and now it seems to be
                                  back
                                  > washing. The temps on these range from 30-36c degrees while
                                  > ferminting. Guess I just keep pluging along with the help of the
                                  listers.

                                  > Charlie

                                • Larry
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 20, 2006
                                    >Now that I am back home I can't get the turbo yeast

                                    Where is home??? Do you come from a country with no Postal Service?

                                    You can get it from Sweden: http://www.partyman.se/tp_48.html
                                    http://www.partyman.se/turbopure_order.html though shipping on it costs
                                    more than the yeast, which means the cost is inflated. I send stuff to
                                    Sweden all the time, and while it's expensive, it's nowhere near THAT
                                    expensive.

                                    However, they ship worldwide, and also have a list of websites all over the
                                    world where you can order their stuff from closer to you, to reduce
                                    shipping cost.

                                    For instance, seven packets (minimum order to USA) costs $27.72, and
                                    shipping it from Sweden to the USA is an extra $33.80.

                                    But they have a list of places in several countries where you can buy their
                                    yeast without going International.
                                    http://www.partyman.se/turbopureworldwide.html

                                    You can Turbo yeats in the USA at: www.brewhaus.com
                                    (http://www.brewhaus.com/Turbo_Yeast_s/24.htm)
                                    and at: www.milehidistilling.com
                                    (http://milehidistilling.900footalien.com/yeast.htm)

                                    The USA sites probably ship internationally, and cheaper than partyman.se does.

                                    Barefoot Larry
                                    The Tradition String Band
                                    www.traditionmusic.com

                                  • Tony Turner
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 20, 2006
                                      Hey Charlie,
                                      There is a great article on the homedistiller.org site that addresses all issues to do with sugar. It would help you to understand what's happening, it's a GREAT resource.

                                      Now back to your issue. table sugar needs to be inverted for it to ferment out completely. You can either boil it with a little citric acid or just ad a few things to your wash to help invert it on the fly (an over simplification). For a sugar wash add 200ml 100%orange juice, a tablespoon of unsulfered molasses, and a small can of tomato paste. You will be supprised at how well this ferments and how good it is when distilled. What I'm doing is using the "shotgun" approach to make sure the yeast have all the things they like to feast on so they can do their job.

                                      I like this better than the turbo yeast because I don't have to fuss with the banana smell that the turbos tend to give the mash and if it takes a couple of days longer... so what, I normally have several different washes going at once anyway.

                                      I bought some Black Label turbo yeast and I hope I get better results with it. The 48 turbo will give high alcohol content in about 10 days but even after I distilled it 3 times up to 93% and I could still detect the faint banana smell when mixed with water. I ran it throught carbon and it was better but not perfect --- I may just be to picky but my wife likes it to taste like water with a burn (fire water) and I'm able to get that with my way after 3 still runs and cut it to 45% then bottle it.

                                      Good luck,
                                      Tony T

                                      CJackson_98 <cjackson_98@...> wrote: When fermenting a sugar wash, how often would you open the wash to

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 21, 2006
                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Larry <larry@...> wrote:

                                        > >Now that I am back home I can't get the turbo yeast
                                        >
                                        > Where is home??? Do you come from a country with no Postal
                                        Service?
                                        Larry & Suitcase,

                                        Let's just say that money is no object, but the plastic is. Plus if I'm
                                        going to do this for myself, I have to make use of local materials. The
                                        yeast and nutrients are the big ones now that I am experminting with.

                                        To put things in perspective in relation to the pricing that you quoted,
                                        my sugar cost me 16 baht a kilo, the yeast that I'm using now or that I
                                        used on the last batch which seems better than what I'm using now cost
                                        16 baht for 16 grams. With the baht at 37 to 1 usd I'm not paying much
                                        for a wash, so I would like to add vitiams, orange juice, etc to get things
                                        to work. Most of my ferminting temps are going to be above 30c. I
                                        would like to get a batch off in 10 days or less. Right now I'm just
                                        experminting and passing along anything that I have learned. Thanks to
                                        all who have responded, but I'm trying to use local products as they are
                                        cheap.