aluminium kegs and crap like that.

  • gimpoftheweek
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
      what is wrong with using aluminium kegs as a boiler, and also
      galvanised kegs, how can you tell what ya keg is made from?
    • Dr. M. Legendre
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
        On Tue, 02 Apr 2002 11:23:16 -0000
        "gimpoftheweek" <walpole2000@...> wrote:

        > what is wrong with using aluminium kegs as a boiler, and also
        > galvanised kegs, how can you tell what ya keg is made from?

        I have never seen a galvanized beer keg, but I do suppose that they might
        have been in use at one time. I know for a fact that old milkcans were
        galvanized, I own one.

        It's easy to separate galvanized steel from either stainless or aluminum,
        as galvanized steel will strongly attract a magnet. Stainless, depending
        on it's composition may or may _not_ be 100% 'antimagnetic'. A lot of
        stainless will _lightly_ attract a magnet, whereas aluminum will not
        attract it at all.

        Also, stainless steel is about 4 times heavier than aluminum.. a 16 gal
        aluminum beer keg feels like a feather compared to a stainless one of the
        same size.

        Stainless steel is much harder than aluminum as well - aluminum can be
        deeply marked with a penknife or awl (sometimes even a fingernail),
        whereas you will just lightly scratch the surface of stainless.

        Finally, stainless is often marked as such - common terms are: stainless,
        rustless, rostfrei, inox etc. Numeric designators are also common: 440,
        505, etc..

        -- Dr. M. Legendre
      • Michael Spottswood
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
          I was going to use an aluminum keg, but found that no welder in town could
          attach copper to it. I am left with either building a large flange or
          picking up a stainless keg to use instead.
          Mike

          >From: "gimpoftheweek" <walpole2000@...>
          >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [new_distillers] aluminium kegs and crap like that.
          >Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 11:23:16 -0000
          >
          >what is wrong with using aluminium kegs as a boiler, and also
          >galvanised kegs, how can you tell what ya keg is made from?

        • cornfed62
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
            http://www.mcmaster.com/ There are photos here of flange fittings in
            either brass or stainless steel or even aluminum. The flanges have
            threaded connections to attach the pipe and also bolt patterns to
            connect to the keg lid top. This is just an idea to consider also.

            --- In new_distillers@y..., "Michael Spottswood" <mikespotts@h...>
            wrote:
            > I was going to use an aluminum keg, but found that no welder in
            town could
            > attach copper to it. I am left with either building a large flange
            or
            > picking up a stainless keg to use instead.
            > Mike
            >
            > >From: "gimpoftheweek" <walpole2000@h...>
            > >To: new_distillers@y...
            > >Subject: [new_distillers] aluminium kegs and crap like that.
            > >Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 11:23:16 -0000
            > >
            > >what is wrong with using aluminium kegs as a boiler, and also
            > >galvanised kegs, how can you tell what ya keg is made from?

          • Brian Shell - BDS (SC)
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
              If you are in the US a national plumbing supply company such as Ferguson
              will have a female/bolt on flange you can mount to the boiler. It will by
              female to accept the column and the have a flange with bolt holes to attach
              to the boiler. I would assume that a plumbing supply shop could order you
              one regardless of where you live. I paid about $25 US for one. I also
              bought a couple of unions and installed one above the flange and another
              below the still head/condensor tee. This allows me to break the column down
              for cleaning/storage.

            • John Vandermeulen
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
                Hello,
                The simplest connection would be one that is easily connected and disconnected.
                I recall some discussion re a union from the dairy industry/cow milking
                machines. Brewhaus (Calgary) showed one in their on-line catalogue the last
                time I looked.
                John V