Re: [new_distillers] Whiskey from liquid malt.

  • ups474@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
      If you look around that section of homedistiller.org a little more you will
      find that I posted instructions on how to peat your own malt if you can't get
      it where you are.
    • mattdistiller
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2002
        --- In new_distillers@y..., ups474@a... wrote:
        > If you look around that section of homedistiller.org a little more
        you will
        > find that I posted instructions on how to peat your own malt if you
        can't get
        > it where you are.

        Thanks - I don't know how I missed it - Its right at the top!
        Thanks, I've now printed out the whole thing, and your vast info that
        Tony has put up there will be great! This years two major projects
        are a scotch and a bourbon, and all your info will give me a good
        head start!

        Thanks again,

        Matt
      • John Vandermeulen
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2002
          mattdistiller wrote:
          Hi again everyone,
          Now to my real questions:
          1.  Did anyone add sugar/nutrients to the wash?  And/or does anyone
          have a breakdown of the malt's content (sugar/nutrient levels)?
          2.  For the Scotch, Jack says to use "peated malt (grains)" - anyone
          know where to get these in Australia?  What are they?  Can I make my
          own?
          peated malt is barley that has been malted (i.e. allow to germinate and sprout), and then heated to kill/stop the sprouting.  During this sprouting process the barley germinal tissue releases an enzyme that converts the storage starch to maltose, the sugar we then convert into alcohol.  The heating stage is done with a lot of peat smoke (primarily phenolic compounds), which adheres to the malted barley, and imparts the 'smokey' pungency to the final product - scotch whisky.In scotch whisky recipes, whether all-grain or partly malt syrup, typically 1/10 (approx.) is peated barley malt.  The rest is non-peated.
          Peated barley malt should be available at the larger brew-supply places.  I can buy it here even out here, in Nova Scotia.
          Can you make your own? Yes - ups posted a recipe a few weeks or months ago - check the archives.

          Good luck, John V

        • Brad McMahon
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2002
            At 11:17 PM 3/04/02, you wrote:
            >mattdistiller wrote:
            >>2. For the Scotch, Jack says to use "peated malt (grains)" - anyone
            >>know where to get these in Australia? What are they? Can I make my
            >>own?
            >
            >Peated barley malt should be available at the larger brew-supply
            >places. I can buy it here even out here, in Nova Scotia.

            Unfortunately not available in Australia. We have only had access to imported
            malts within the last year and boy are they expensive. We can get
            Weyermann Rauchmalz; that is beechwood smoked.
            Here, you will have to make your own, using peat moss from
            your local garden centre. Use regular pale malt and smoke it
            on the Weber BBQ using the peat moss.