Cornflakes and malted wheats

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 23, 2009
      Hi all,

      If i were to substitute cornflakes for cracked corn, what quantity of cornflakes must be used instead of 1lb of cracked corn in a corn whiskey recipe?

      Also, has ayone ever tried using "malted wheats" in a recipe? (It's a type of breakfast cereal here in the U.K.)

      With both the corn flakes and malted wheats having malt in their ingredient list, would i need to use the extra malt in the recipes? I'm aiming for 80% corn, 12% rye and 8% malt. Some recipes ask for extra sugar and some don't. Taking into account i'm running this through an enlarged Bokakob reflux still, which i'm assuming will strip flavour (please correct me if i'm wrong), would it be better to use more of the flavourful ingredients i.e. corn and malt, and less sugar to get the same HG and eventual ABV?

      I'm going to use a high tolerance yeast (EC1118 or better). I'm planning on adding the sugar in stages like i do when making wine. The yeast seems to tolerate it better and give a higher yield. I've know if you start with too high Hg the yeast fails to get going, but i've used standard yeasts and staged sugar additions to make wines up to 16% no problem at all.

      Could anyone offer advice as to the best way to run a mash like this through a reflux still? I've read a few posts and recipes that use reflux stills, but not one that uses a Bokakob. I can't remove the packing on mine but i really want to do a 'proper' wash, not just turbo sugar washes. Is it just a case of running it into the higher temp's or do you still get flavours coming through in the heads like a pot still?

      Many thanks in advance

      Andy,

      P.S. if i've missed a post when i've been searching that answers this question, i apologise, but there's such a wealth of information on here it's easy to miss bits. A link to it would be very much appreciated
    • JD
      Message 45 of 45 , Jun 13, 2010
        The day after..

        Turned up clear,

        well i tossed it all allready.

        but might be a clue.

        only thing in search i found is to much nutrient and copper.

        well, i start over might have bin to long standing on the cornflakes settlement ( it whas white tasted like corn )

        an other mistake learned :D

        Greetz

        JD