Re: Why you should stay small scale...

  • idahomole
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 6, 2009
      I am confused. Haven't we all read on this board that selling is wrong? How do we know who he was selling to? i.e kids? Pot is illegal but smoking and dealing is different. He was a dealer. Not trying to raise any neck hairs here.....just saying.

      Mole
    • gooseeye
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 6, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "idahomole" <idahomole@...> wrote:

        > I am confused. Haven't we all read on this board that selling is wrong? How do we know who he was selling to? i.e kids? Pot is illegal but smoking and dealing is different. He was a dealer. Not trying to raise any neck hairs here.....just saying.
        >
        > Mole

        mole 6 barel outfit an he got a midleman.
        this aint the time nor the place but if you man enough to raise your right hand an fight for this great nation i dont much concider you a kid.
      • dougindouglas
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 6, 2009
          I agree about the selling being wrong, unless it is done legally. But, if we are going to tax liquor, except for personal use, then we should do the same for marijuana. The legal tax income from that would help offset our current budget deficit and create jobs, we don't need another depression to show us that prohibition doesn't work- in any form. I'd love to take credit for this, but an old bootlegger friend of mine told me this. It didn't work then and it don't work now!

          Doug

          -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gooseeye" <gooseeye@...> wrote:

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "idahomole" <idahomole@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am confused. Haven't we all read on this board that selling is wrong? How do we know who he was selling to? i.e kids? Pot is illegal but smoking and dealing is different. He was a dealer. Not trying to raise any neck hairs here.....just saying.
          > >
          > > Mole
          > >
          > mole 6 barel outfit an he got a midleman.
          > this aint the time nor the place but if you man enough to raise your right hand an fight for this great nation i dont much concider you a kid.

        • KM Services
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 6, 2009

            Doug,

            I think you must understand that here in New Zealand we are allowed to grow our own Tobacco and distill our own spirits as long as it is for personal use. You must be aware that both these products are legal substances except we do not have to pay excise tax on our own home distilled spirit,but heaven help us if we are caught selling.  However Dope is an illegal substance and there lies the difference need I say more

            Cheers Ken mc

            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 6, 2009

              Just a reminder that this forum is for the promotion of the distilling craft and the politics of in particular of marijuana is regarded as an off topic by all moderators

              Cheers

              Ken Mc

[...]

            • rye_junkie1
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 6, 2009
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...> wrote:

                > Just a reminder that this forum is for the promotion of the distilling craft
                > and the politics of in particular of marijuana is regarded as an off topic
                > by all moderators
                >

                > This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure...
                >
                > Cheers
                >
                > Ken Mc
                Co moderator

                Time to close this one down Guys. We all have some strong feelings on these subjects. Raise a glass and agree to disagree if necessary but this has gone way off topic.

                Mason
                Co moderator
              • waljaco
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 7, 2009
                  But then bhang (Cannabis sativa) is sold legally in India whereas many of the Indian states have alcohol prohibition (not too successfully). As this is an international site then a bhang vodka should a valid topic?
                  wal
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...> wrote:

                  > Just a reminder that this forum is for the promotion of the distilling craft
                  > and the politics of in particular of marijuana is regarded as an off topic
                  > by all moderators
                  >

                  > This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure...
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Ken Mc
                  >

                  > _____

                • edbar44
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 7, 2009
                    I found this rather interesting, your tax dollars at work, check out some of the formulae.

                    http://www.ttb.gov/foia/gauging_manual_toc.shtml#27:1.0.1.1.25.2
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 7, 2009

                      Dang Wal,

                      Lets all move to Amsterdam then - best of both worlds - marahooch and hooch (thought we dropped this thread)...  Opps, forgot they outlawed smoking in bars there now (just cant win anymore :().  As far as small scale, im a going to a table size - no larger then .7 liter  - my next purchase (let the feds figure taxes on that ;)):

                      Ide will take approximately half an hour depending on what is being distilled.
                      Ideal to place anywhere in you home due to its graceful design. Why not make a fresh batch of eau-de-vie while entertaining friends. Distillation will take approximately half an hour depending on what is being distilled - 0.7 liter.

                      > But then bhang (Cannabis sativa) is sold legally in India whereas many of the Indian states have alcohol prohibition (not too successfully). As this is an international site then a bhang vodka should a valid topic?
                      > wal
                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" km_services@ wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Just a reminder that this forum is for the promotion of the distilling craft
                      > > and the politics of in particular of marijuana is regarded as an off topic
                      > > by all moderators
                      > >

                      > > This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure...
                      > >
                      > > Cheers
                      > >
                      > > Ken Mc
                      > >

                      > > _____

                    • dougindouglas
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 7, 2009
                        I'm gonna have a big harvest of muscadine grapes does anyone have a good recipe for a flavorful/potent wash for muscadines, one of my stills will be ready by then.

                        Doug
                      • waljaco
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 7, 2009

                          > See
                          > http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques15.asp
                          > wal
                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dougindouglas" <judy_doug_dombrowski@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I'm gonna have a big harvest of muscadine grapes does anyone have a good recipe for a flavorful/potent wash for muscadines, one of my stills will be ready by then.
                          > >
                          > > Doug

                        • Derek Hamlet
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 7, 2009
                            I'm sorry but following a recipe like that is very very old style winemaking.
                            To make a decent wine it is necessary to start with known values for
                            sugar content, properly adjusted acids, ph etc.
                            This link gives some basic parameters for making a decent red
                            wine. This can be distilled to make brandy.
                            I have no experience with muscadine grapes per se, but making decent
                            wines is all basically the same steps.
                            http://www.nanaimowinemakers.org/Winemaking/RedWineMaking.htm#4
                            At 04:59 PM 3/7/2009, you wrote:

                            >--- In
                            ><mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com>new_distillers@yahoogroups.com,
                            >"waljaco" <waljaco@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > See
                            > >
                            > <http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques15.asp>http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques15.asp
                            > > wal
                            > > --- In
                            > <mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com>new_distillers@yahoogroups.com,
                            > "dougindouglas" <judy_doug_dombrowski@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I'm gonna have a big harvest of muscadine grapes does anyone
                            > have a good recipe for a flavorful/potent wash for muscadines, one
                            > of my stills will be ready by then.
                            > > >
                            > > > Doug

                            Cappy
                            The Road goes ever on and on
                            Down from the door where it began.
                            Now far ahead the road has gone,
                            And I must follow, if I can,
                            Until it joins some larger way
                            Where many paths and errands meet.
                            And whither then? I cannot say.
                          • waljaco
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 7, 2009
                              If you want to make decent wine then do not use muscadine grapes!
                              If you do you treat it as for a fruit wine.
                              wal

                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 8, 2009
                                Muscadine grape characteristics -

                                http://tinyurl.com/d4pl8b

                                wal
                                The French-American hybrid Chambourcin is used to make commercial wines in Australia

                                > If you want to make decent wine then do not use muscadine grapes!
                                > If you do you treat it as for a fruit wine.
                                > wal
                                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I'm sorry but following a recipe like that is very very old style winemaking.
                                > > To make a decent wine it is necessary to start with known values for
                                > > sugar content, properly adjusted acids, ph etc.
                                > > This link gives some basic parameters for making a decent red
                                > > wine. This can be distilled to make brandy.
                                > > I have no experience with muscadine grapes per se, but making decent
                                > > wines is all basically the same steps.
                                > > http://www.nanaimowinemakers.org/Winemaking/RedWineMaking.htm#4
                                > > At 04:59 PM 3/7/2009, you wrote:
                                > >
                                > > >--- In
                                > > ><mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com>new_distillers@yahoogroups.com,

                                > > > <http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques15.asp>http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques15.asp
                                > > > <mailto:new_distillers%40yahoogroups.com>new_distillers@yahoogroups.com,

                                > > > have a good recipe for a flavorful/potent wash for muscadines, one
                                > > > of my stills will be ready by then.

                                > > Cappy
                                > > The Road goes ever on and on
                                > > Down from the door where it began.
                                > > Now far ahead the road has gone,
                                > > And I must follow, if I can,
                                > > Until it joins some larger way
                                > > Where many paths and errands meet.
                                > > And whither then? I cannot say.

                              • Zapata Vive
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
                                  Maybe not decent by wine snob standards, but decent by decent folk standards!  And the brandy ain't bad either!

                                  But "treat it as for a fruit wine" is not bad advice at all.  Assuming that means measuring and adjusting sugar content and titratable acid levels based on what you actually have, not just a recipe.

                                  I've had some tasty Muscatine brandy before, and am jealous of anyone with a bounty of them coming up...

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
                                    No experience of muscadine grapes. Just crushed half a tonne of syrah (shiraz) grapes - no added sugar or acid!
                                    Moonshiners do not normally measure SG or pH of their grain bill recipe. Most people are happy with a workable (time-tested) recipe. You will find that fruit wine recipes are based on diluting the pH level and then adding sugar to approximate levels found in 'noble' grapes.
                                    wal
                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...> wrote:

                                    > Maybe not decent by wine snob standards, but decent by decent folk standards! And the brandy ain't bad either!
                                    >
                                    > But "treat it as for a fruit wine" is not bad advice at all. Assuming that means measuring and adjusting sugar content and titratable acid levels based on what you actually have, not just a recipe.
                                    >
                                    > I've had some tasty Muscatine brandy before, and am jealous of anyone with a bounty of them coming up...

                                  • blanik1939
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009
                                      There are other things for sale but illegal to use, but that topic is not allowed in here.

                                      However, small scale or huge scale is illegal in most of the places we live in. Don't be fooled into thinking that small scale is safe. It isn't. If you get reported to the jacks for having a still, you will be punished no matter what size your still is just as the bloke who got busted in this particular case was busted because he was informed on.

                                      If you do the crime, be prepared to do the time. Size definately doesn't matter.

                                      blanik
                                    • KM Services
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 9, 2009

                                        There are other things for sale but illegal to use, but that topic is not allowed in here.

                                        However, small scale or huge scale is illegal in most of the places we live in. Don't be fooled into thinking that small scale is safe. It isn't. If you get reported to the jacks for having a still, you will be punished no matter what size your still is just as the bloke who got busted in this particular case was busted because he was informed on.

                                        If you do the crime, be prepared to do the time. Size definately doesn't matter.

                                        blanik

                                        Thanks for the input blanik,it is noted, but it is really is not worth continuing with this thread

                                        Cheers

                                        Ken Mc

                                        Co Moderator

                                      • tim smith