re: oak

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2002
      Welcome to Heinrich Cooperage

      designed by Graphic Language Design
      Last updated: 9 May 2001

    • Rod
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 17, 2006
        after checking all the hardware shops in qld [oz]
        i came across a peice of oak that has kiln dryed
        i was wondering is that simmilar to toasting
        or would the sap be gone?
        was planning to cut into small sticks [25mmx25mmx200mm] and char them
        for bourbon/rum
        any thoughts
        cheers bull
      • morganfield1
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 17, 2006
          Hey Bull,
          Kiln dried lumber should be fine. Air dried lumber is best, in my
          oppinion, but if you don't have a stack of white oak firewood around,
          kiln dried is almost as good.
          Tip one, Morgan

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Rod" <bull910@...> wrote:

          > after checking all the hardware shops in qld [oz]
          > i came across a peice of oak that has kiln dryed
          > i was wondering is that simmilar to toasting
          > or would the sap be gone?
          > was planning to cut into small sticks [25mmx25mmx200mm] and char them
          > for bourbon/rum
          > any thoughts
          > cheers bull

        • donald holcombe
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 17, 2006
            The oak of which you speak should be OK. Kiln dying is whethe wood is heated from 85F to 212F depending on the kiln . It can be a vaccum kiln at 85-120F a low temp at 110- 140F or a high temp at 180-212F AIR or Steam can be used. One of the original Microwave ovens was a kiln to quick dry wood. Wood used for barrels and filter charcoal I believe is air dried outdoors. Try some lightly toasted and heavy charred . Then check out the differance in taste. It can be amazingly differant.

            Rod <bull910@...> wrote: after checking all the hardware shops in qld [oz]
            i came across a peice of oak that has kiln dryed
            i was wondering is that simmilar to toasting
            or would the sap be gone?
            was planning to cut into small sticks [25mmx25mmx200mm] and char them
            for bourbon/rum
            any thoughts
            cheers bull

            Food and drink Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

            ---------------------------------

          • BARDY
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 1, 2011
              I have aquired some oak. If i want to age in oak, do I add this to the raw neutral spirit or after the flavouring is added. Or at which stage does anyone suggest
            • ben marks
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2011
                hi
                what i do when i am making whiskey is to take some oak chips and fill a qt jar with them and fill it with whiskey and let it sit for a few months becouse there is so mutch serfacs area that qt of oak extract will "oak" about 3 gallons of whiskey  but if your are adding flavorings why oak at all does not the flavorings have the oak flavor in it allready?

                ________________________________

                  Whiskey is What Beer Wants to Be When it Grows Up

                ______________________

                Your Car is German. Your Vodka is Russian. Your Pizza Italian. Your
                Kebab is Turkish. Your Democracy is Greek. Your Coffee Brazilian.
                Your Movies are American. Your Tea is Chinese
                . Your Shirt is Mexican.
                Your Oil is Saudi Arabian. Your Electronics are Japanese. Your Numbers  are

                Arabic, Your Letters are Latin. Your Cocaine is Colombian. And you
                Complain that your Neighbor is an Immigrant?

                To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                From: bardymcc@...
                Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 01:50:53 +0000
                Subject: [new_distillers] oak

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
                  Another thing about oak chips is you need to brown them by either toasting  in the oven or use direct fire to give them a char.   There are 4 levels of char with Alligator char being the heaviest char and produces the most flavors and color.  See Chart below.

                  JB. aka Waldo.