artisan distilling by profeser berglund from harry libary

  • gooseeye
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
      on pg 78 it say somethin like wild yeast is surpressed at 5 to 6 percent.

      is that sayin you cant get your wine no lower than 10 an hier than 12 proof if you aint usein store bought? cause that aint so. it will fluxuate from year to year time of year fruit how you feed an so on an so forth.
      got other questions but im just seein if im readin his writein right.

      so im tole
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gooseeye" <gooseeye@...> wrote:

        > on pg 78 it say somethin like wild yeast is surpressed at 5 to 6 percent.
        >
        > is that sayin you cant get your wine no lower than 10 an hier than 12 proof if you aint usein store bought? cause that aint so. it will fluxuate from year to year time of year fruit how you feed an so on an so forth.
        > got other questions but im just seein if im readin his writein right.
        >
        > so im tole

        I dont know about the lower than 10, but I read it as wild yeast wont ferment higher than 5 or 6%. Just as they say bakers yeast peters out around 12-13%.

        Mason
      • Derek Hamlet
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
          At 04:43 AM 3/5/2009, you wrote:

          >on pg 78 it say somethin like wild yeast is surpressed at 5 to 6 percent.
          >
          >is that sayin you cant get your wine no lower than 10 an hier than
          >12 proof if you aint usein store bought? cause that aint so. it will
          >fluxuate from year to year time of year fruit how you feed an so on
          >an so forth.
          >got other questions but im just seein if im readin his writein right.
          >
          >so im tole

          Wild Yeast is exactly that; it is wild.
          If a person enjoys the challenge of doing things naturally with the
          tools at hand, in this case wild yeast, then there can be
          satisfaction in pursuing that course of action. If, however,
          quality, quantity and predictability of the outcome is important then
          wild yeast are wildly unpredictable.
          We now have a good 150 years of solid scientific research into the
          collection and culturing of yeasts that are predictable within a
          broad range of norms.
          Yeasts are well known for characteristics such as tolerance to
          alcohol and their ability to bring out particular tastes and flavours
          of the product(s) being fermented.
          If making apple cider where the %abv is relatively low, it is
          sometimes fun to use wild yeasts. There is, of course, always a
          danger of the particular strains of wild yeast producing a foul
          tasting product.
          When I spend a lot of money on high quality grapes from which I hope
          to ferment a quality wine that will last for years, I choose my yeast
          or yeasts very carefully. Depending on the product I desire to
          create, I am diligent in the use of yeasts, nutrients, temperatures,
          time of skins on the must, and a host of alternatives for care of the
          fermenting must both during and after the fermentation.
          For me, wild yeasts are simply like rolling dice and hoping for a
          positive outcome or buying a lottery ticket and hoping for the winning number.
          Too much uncertainty.

          Cappy
          The Road goes ever on and on
          Down from the door where it began.
          Now far ahead the road has gone,
          And I must follow, if I can,
          Until it joins some larger way
          Where many paths and errands meet.
          And whither then? I cannot say.
        • Zapata Vive
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
            There is also a difference between yeast being suppressed and being killed.  Just as most of us don't push any yeast to their max, because we know they get stressed when they get near their max.

            I think that 5-6 percent is strong enough to suppress just about any yeast, particularly wild ones which have not been selected for alcohol tolerance.  That doesn't mean they'll quit working there, or even die there, just that they would be most happy at lower ABV.  If I'd have to guess, I'd guess that wild or domesticated yeasts are all most productive at low ABV.

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...> wrote:

              > There is also a difference between yeast being suppressed and being killed. Just as most of us don't push any yeast to their max, because we know they get stressed when they get near their max.
              >
              > I think that 5-6 percent is strong enough to suppress just about any yeast, particularly wild ones which have not been selected for alcohol tolerance. That doesn't mean they'll quit working there, or even die there, just that they would be most happy at lower ABV. If I'd have to guess, I'd guess that wild or domesticated yeasts are all most productive at low ABV.

              Good points. Here's some more food for thought...

              Yeast is a living organism. Like all living things, it's purpose in life is to grow, mature and continue the species. The fact that it can produce waste products (alcohol) as a normal part of that life cycle is a happy event for mankind.

              The waste product of yeast (alcohol) is actually a self-preservation mechanism. It makes alcohol initially (even in aerobic conditions) to kill off the competitors (bacteria) for its foodsources (sugars).

              As with all living things, if it encounters non-ideal conditions for doing the 'growth & procreation' thing (lack of oxygen or anaerobic conditions) then it sees that as a potential threat, and increases its natural defenses. It produces more wastes (alcohol) and less growth.

              Mankind takes advantage of this auto-defense system of yeasts because we like to consume the waste. This process (fermentation) is a controlled mild stress of yeast. However, if we go overboard and stress the yeast too much, then it will react by producing other substances we DON'T like to consume.

            • gooseeye
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                ole doc told the ole boys way back when there was moren one strain of wild yeast. he said there is some every bit as good as store bought but it was hit or miss of them. was ole doc right.
                is there moren one type of wild yeast.
                he would dump old grapes round vine

                so im tole

              • gff_stwrt
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:

                  snip

                  > Cappy

                  > The Road goes ever on and on
                  > Down from the door where it began.
                  > Now far ahead the road has gone,
                  > And I must follow, if I can,
                  > Until it joins some larger way
                  > Where many paths and errands meet.
                  > And whither then? I cannot say.

                  Nice.

                  Walt Whitman?

                  seems a bit like his style.

                  The Baker
                • rye_junkie1
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gooseeye" <gooseeye@...> wrote:

                    > ole doc told the ole boys way back when there was moren one strain of wild yeast. he said there is some every bit as good as store bought but it was hit or miss of them. was ole doc right.
                    > is there moren one type of wild yeast.
                    > he would dump old grapes round vine
                    >
                    > so im tole

                    This subject came up a few months back and I remember posting this:
                    http://www.enologyinternational.com/yeast/wildyeast.html
                    I have read in a few places that wild yeast wines are some of the best and most expensive out there. The expensive part being due to it being Hit or miss on getting a good strain that makes a good wine or Mad dog20/20.

                    Mason
                  • Derek Hamlet
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                      At 04:34 PM 3/5/2009, you wrote:
                      > > The Road goes ever on and on
                      > > Down from the door where it began.
                      > > Now far ahead the road has gone,
                      > > And I must follow, if I can,
                      > > Until it joins some larger way
                      > > Where many paths and errands meet.
                      > > And whither then? I cannot say.
                      > >

                      >Nice.
                      >
                      >Walt Whitman?
                      >
                      >seems a bit like his style.

                      Nah, it was actually Tokien. I can't remember exactly where, but
                      it's Bilbo's quote as he is about to take off on another adventure.