Re: Spirit Run Results

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...>
      wrote:

      > Congrats! Sounds good to me! Definitely dilute it, my mouth goes
      numb if I even just taste a few drops of 75%.

      And is it ok to keep the distillate around 81 to 82 %abv for drinking
      ??? The taste seems ok.

      I think what Bali is asking here is would it be Ok to blend this
      Higher ABV "heads cut" alcohol in with his middle cut for drinking
      spirit. The answer is,
      Yes. It is perfectly fine to do so. The 80% "cut" is just a
      guideline. If you were to triple distill your product it would likely
      run for the majority of the run above 80%. As you do more and more
      runs you will find that your nose tells you more about when to make
      the cut. The alcoholmeter may read 85% or 78% when you notice the
      fruity smell of the heads start to dissipate. You are the master
      distiller. Play with it. At worst you'll have to back off an oz to
      keep the morning headache at bay. Remember that the bulk of the
      flavor cogeners are in the Heads. The absolute worse thing that could
      happen is you mess it up and have to redistill the batch. Maybe not a
      bad thing though. You may find yourself asking why would i drink XX
      booze when for a little extra work on a triple I have something I
      really like. Take cost out of the equation (for the most part) and
      you will find it frees/opens up the mind.

      Mason