Re: [new_distillers] 10 Hp Boiler

  • George Wessel
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28, 2002
      Charley

       Take the 27,720 and  / by 70 =  3960 BTU per Horsepower.I think you're absolutely right.  I timed one of my industrial motors.  A 350 Chevy that runs 24/7 at 2000 rpm.  For a four stroke engine that would be (RPM / 2) x Cu/Inch  /  1728 CUInch Per CuFt x 80% to =  162.04 CuFt per Minute Intake x 2.85 % Natural gas =  4.62 CuFt of natural gas per minute.  Take this times 60 minutes  = 277.2 CuFt per hour x 1000 BTU per CuFt (got this from the gas company) = 27,720 BTU on a motor that is delivering about 70 horsepower.  Take 3960 BTU per Horsepower and minus 2552 and the difference is 1,408 BTU larger than a boiler horsepower.  Which means that my 350 can easily pull my still with it's waste heat.  Which is really all I wanted to know.  I wonder if the difference could be from  the addition load of the running motor.

      Thanks for the facts on your boiler.  They helped me find an error in my spreadsheet. Now my spreadsheet agrees with what several different authors said other people could produce ethanol for.

      George

      cdewen@... wrote:
      Well, there's academia, then there's real life....

      I own a 10HP steam boiler.   I'm home and it's at the shop, but as I
      remember from the rating plate, it requires an input of 450,000 BTU
      of propane to produce an output of 360,000 BTU.   It stands 6ft tall
      and weighs almost 1,000 lbs.   Seems like a lot of iron just to
      produce the same heat as a couple of stove burners.

      I have a feeling we're misusing terms.   I'm no engineer, but I
      believe there's a difference between gas engine horsepower and
      boiler horsepower.

      Charley

      --- In new_distillers@y..., georgelola@n... wrote:
      > Thanks for the reply
      >
      > If I may, another question.  Would a 10 Hp boiler require the same
      gas input as a 10 Hp motor, delivering 10 Hp? How much would be lost
      by using an internal combustion motor?

      > George
      >

      > "Dr. M. Legendre" <distiller@a...> wrote:
      >
      > >Thought I'd interject,
      > >
      > >On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 06:31:11 +1000
      > >"Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)" <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> See http://www.hotflo.com/dccalc/metricconv1.html
      > >>
      > >> horsepower x 746 = watts
      > >> and watts = joules per second
      > >> and joules x 0.000951 = BTU
      > >>
      > >> so ....  10 x 746 x 0.000951 = 7.09 BTU per second
      > >
      > >Don't forget that conventional expression of BTU is in BTUs per
      hour, not
      > >per second. So, 7.09 BTU/sec * 3600 sec/hour = 25,524 BTU/hour.
      What you

      http://shopnow.netscape.com/

      http://webmail.netscape.com/