Pot still - How small a volume can I run?

  • whackfol
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2009
      I am facing the possibility that the amount of my wash will be
      significantly below the normal amount I strip in my pot still.
      (Usually I run three 6 gallon batches and after mixing the three and
      watering down, I have about 6 gallons for final run.) To date I have
      never run it less than 2/3 full. Does anyone have any advice on how
      low I can go and still get adequate distillation? Are there any risks
      of distilling a much smaller amount than the still was designed? Do I
      need to worry about scortching as the volume is reduced?
      Thanks,
      Whack
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2009
        The only concern would be if you had internal heating elements which
        must be covered at all times. External heating elements will not cause
        a problem with scorching. Ive used as little as 2 quarts in mine.

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.