Intermittient Sour Mash Cycle

  • thepatchworkdoll
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi Guys just mulling over the Intermittient Sour Mash Cycle recipe in
      Smiley's Corn Whiskey book. Has anyone out there tried this recipe and
      if so what were the results like. Any feedback will be very much
      appreciated. Regards thepatchworkdoll
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thepatchworkdoll"
        <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys just mulling over the Intermittient Sour Mash Cycle recipe in
        > Smiley's Corn Whiskey book. Has anyone out there tried this recipe and
        > if so what were the results like. Any feedback will be very much
        > appreciated. Regards thepatchworkdoll

        It works with an adjustment here and there. I just finished (a couple
        of weeks ago) a 5 iteration version of the recipe. Just using
        different grains. His recommendation for adding all of the backset
        back to the next wash is a little much. I only used a measured 2
        gallons. My fermentation times did not suffer and I felt like I got a
        good product.
        Until I fried 2 600 watt elements testing a low power distill on the
        grains theory on the final run.
        I used Corn meal, cracked wheat and cracked Rye. Foaming was a pretty
        big issue. There would be well over a foot of head room in the boiler
        and when the run was over and I removed the cap there would be foam
        residue up to a few inches form the top. Never puked, but be careful
        on power input for stripping.
        I think Riku also used this recipe around the same time.

        Mason
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
          Yes, I had flaked rye and cooked whole barley. That damn barley had
          stayed whole and thus contributed very little to the taste making my
          mash very thin in taste (only 0.8 kg rye was used). The endresult may
          resemble Irish whiskey after oaking, as it is I do not consider it
          drinkable. I did distill it with feints from grains whiskey so that
          may have helped some.

          I took the backset and started a new serie of three using malt this
          time, we'll see how it turns out.

          Slainte, Riku