Re: Flavours

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

      > Hi cestujici2,
      > I can see your point I.E there is more surface area on a 6 side
      > cube/dice than on one flat surface of the cube/dice.  But the fact
      > that
      > the ethanol will draw the flavour out from below the protective skin
      > surface will change the whole dynamic and game play of flavour
      > extraction.  The 55 % abv ethanol is extracting from the surface,
      > through and just beneath the surface and down into and just above the
      > pith  (that's if you decrease the ethanol soak time just short of the
      > 55 % abv ethanol  hitting the pith) now therein lies the the craft of
      > flavour extraction (just one of the distillers multitude of must
      > learn
      > crafts in order to be considered as a master craftsman) I'm no were
      > near the craftsman stage yet, still learning
      > Geoff

      Just so everyone is aware...the anatomy of an orange peel or rind is revealed in these pics.  You can clearly see that the pith (bitter white area) makes up a big percentage of the total.  The surface layer containing the clearly seen oil sacs is very thin.

       The easiest method for separation is to use a zest peeler as shown, or a cooks grater.  This method takes zest (as it's called) only.  The oils remain viable and are not subject to change through drying of the peel.