Re: design help

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28 8:38 AM
      I stand to be corrected here but i think the general concensus on
      aluminium boilers is "only if you have no other alternative"! A
      couple of posts have mentioned metallic tastes and corrosion, and
      IMHO it just isn't worth it for something you're going to put in
      your mouth. I used an ex-army stainless cook pot for my boiler which
      i bought for about £20 ($30). Two litres of brand name spirits from
      a supermarket would cost about the same, and my still will produce 8-
      10 litres per batch and i've run 6 or 7 batches so far. It pays for
      itself.

      The boiler power will dictate the size of column you have to use if
      you can't turn it down. The files and calculators on here will give
      you a good idea of what size column will cope with what power input
      from the boiler. I did it the other way round, in that i had a
      certain size column and had to find a power source big enough to run
      it.

      Hope that helps.

      Cheers,

      Andy

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigchief_firewater"
      <sammy.beets@...> wrote:

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Andy" <fit_dude42@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Welcome!
      > >
      > > Being a Bokakob user i can highly recommend the design. I've had
      > > excellent results from mine.
      > > Picture link to my still:

      > > pic/list
      > >
      > > My feelings on the coffee pot would be that the heat input may
      not
      > > be good enough. I know on my still i had a real problem getting
      the
      > > boiler up to temp on an electric hob, so i changed to a gas
      burner
      > > and now it's fine. When i had a smaller 1 gallon boiler the hob
      was
      > > fine, but when i changed to a 5gal boiler (as in the picture)
      the
      > > hob just couldn't put enough power in to keep the flow going.
      This