Spirit Run Results

  • balibootleg
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26 6:26 PM
      well have just finished the spirit run on ujsm and the results are good.
      I started with a volume of 18 ltr of low wines (39%abv) it produced
      the following results with no feints added.
      4ltrs of heads from 87%abv down to my cut at 81% abv for my Middle Run
      as follows in collection bottles nums 1to 7
      no1)500mls =81%abv
      no2)500mls =80% abv
      no3)500mls=79%abv
      no4)500mls =76% abv
      no5)500mls=73% abv
      no6)500mls =71%abv
      no7) 250mls =67% abv (this spirit sample had a distinct taste change
      and i think it was the start of the tails ) unpleasant to say the least .
      tails collected 2.5ltr ,finished the run with a still head temp of 95 c.
      Collections num 2,3,4 are good
      collection no 1 is a little sharp but still good and i think next time
      i would keep more at this 81% abv as I discarded about 500mls to my
      feints bottle maybe a mistake ????
      Collections num 5 & 6 are ok ,they have more flavor and aim undecided
      if i like it or not
      collection no 7 had a really of taste so i am presuming thats, the
      tails starting.
      Over all ,collections from num 1 to 6 are good and am thinking about
      mixing all together and then cutting it ,what would be your options on
      this ????
      Do these collections sound about right ???
      And is it ok to keep the distillate around 81 to 82 %abv for drinking
      ??? The taste seems ok.
      Id Like to thank all of you that have given me advice from start to
      finish ,am sure i would not have gotten this far with out your help
      guys ,Thanks heaps.
      Ill be haven a drink tonight for sure :D
      Regards Bali
      PS . Ive started adding 100% backset now to the ujsm wash and its
      going great with no PH adjustment 4 to 5 days fermentation time .Ill
      let you know how that progresses , ive got 40 liters of wash to do
      tomorrow and then a spirit run on that which ill add the feints to
      from this last run .WOW its now getting exciting .
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 26 7:41 PM
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "balibootleg"
        <garryjanderson@...> wrote:

        > well have just finished the spirit run on ujsm and the results are good.
        > I started with a volume of 18 ltr of low wines (39%abv) it produced
        > the following results with no feints added.
        > 4ltrs of heads from 87%abv down to my cut at 81% abv for my Middle Run
        > as follows in collection bottles nums 1to 7
        > no1)500mls =81%abv
        > no2)500mls =80% abv
        > no3)500mls=79%abv
        > no4)500mls =76% abv
        > no5)500mls=73% abv
        > no6)500mls =71%abv
        > no7) 250mls =67% abv (this spirit sample had a distinct taste change
        > and i think it was the start of the tails ) unpleasant to say the
        least .
        > tails collected 2.5ltr ,finished the run with a still head temp of 95 c.
        > Collections num 2,3,4 are good
        > collection no 1 is a little sharp but still good and i think next time
        > i would keep more at this 81% abv as I discarded about 500mls to my
        > feints bottle maybe a mistake ????
        > Collections num 5 & 6 are ok ,they have more flavor and aim undecided
        > if i like it or not
        > collection no 7 had a really of taste so i am presuming thats, the
        > tails starting.
        > Over all ,collections from num 1 to 6 are good and am thinking about
        > mixing all together and then cutting it ,what would be your options on
        > this ????
        > Do these collections sound about right ???
        > And is it ok to keep the distillate around 81 to 82 %abv for drinking
        > ??? The taste seems ok.
        > Id Like to thank all of you that have given me advice from start to
        > finish ,am sure i would not have gotten this far with out your help
        > guys ,Thanks heaps.
        > Ill be haven a drink tonight for sure :D
        > Regards Bali
        > PS . Ive started adding 100% backset now to the ujsm wash and its
        > going great with no PH adjustment 4 to 5 days fermentation time .Ill
        > let you know how that progresses , ive got 40 liters of wash to do
        > tomorrow and then a spirit run on that which ill add the feints to
        > from this last run .WOW its now getting exciting .

        Great Job Bali,
        Doesnt it feel good to get this one done? I commend you for your
        patience in collecting enough low wines to do a nice size spirit run.
        How close to my recommendation did this come out? It sounds about
        right although I would have collected the 4 liters you collected as
        heads and maybe blended some of them in too. Remember that we that
        run reflux rigs keep the stuff thats 90+%. Thats the great thing
        about this Hobby. You decide what you like. Not some master
        distiller at a commercial distillery. The stuff you made today
        probably isnt the best you ever drank. But if its drinkable, I bet
        you sip it with a smile. Wear that hangover in the morning with pride
        buddy.

        Mason
        I love this hobby
      • morganfield1
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 28 4:42 AM
          Hi Bali,

          I'm not sure what you're asking, but you want to dilute your drinking
          stuff down to 50 or 60 percent at the most. JMSO.

          Tip one, Morgan

          >> > And is it ok to keep the distillate around 81 to 82 %abv for
          drinking
          > > ??? The taste seems ok.

        • Zapata Vive
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009

            Congrats!  Sounds good to me!  Definitely dilute it, my mouth goes numb if I even just taste a few drops of 75%.

            Oh, and on the UJSM, Harry recently pointed out why it's not good practice to keep doing that.  IMHO, 100% backset may be for the first 3 sripping runs, but don't save all the backset for your next batch.  After your last stripping run, let the backset sit and setle for several hours then siphon from the middle so you don't pick up precipitated salts, and so you you don't get any floating oil slick from the top.  Maybe 50-75% of the total volume seems like a good amount to preserve to start your next batch.  Assuming you want to carry over backet to your next batch, and have some way of keeping it (canning or freezing).

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...>
              wrote:

              > Congrats! Sounds good to me! Definitely dilute it, my mouth goes
              numb if I even just taste a few drops of 75%.

              I think what Bali is asking here is would it be Ok to blend this
              Higher ABV "heads cut" alcohol in with his middle cut for drinking
              spirit. The answer is,
              Yes. It is perfectly fine to do so. The 80% "cut" is just a
              guideline. If you were to triple distill your product it would likely
              run for the majority of the run above 80%. As you do more and more
              runs you will find that your nose tells you more about when to make
              the cut. The alcoholmeter may read 85% or 78% when you notice the
              fruity smell of the heads start to dissipate. You are the master
              distiller. Play with it. At worst you'll have to back off an oz to
              keep the morning headache at bay. Remember that the bulk of the
              flavor cogeners are in the Heads. The absolute worse thing that could
              happen is you mess it up and have to redistill the batch. Maybe not a
              bad thing though. You may find yourself asking why would i drink XX
              booze when for a little extra work on a triple I have something I
              really like. Take cost out of the equation (for the most part) and
              you will find it frees/opens up the mind.

              Mason