Re: Newbe needing some help

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26, 2009
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Nevakshonoff
      <nailme_16@...> wrote:

      > Wow you guys are quick.
      > I don't want to sound like money was not a factor, but my neighbour
      is the owner of a plumbing supply house, so I need to make some good
      product to pay my bill off HaHa!!!!or there may be an invoice showing
      up soon! The idea came from the many diffrent photos on this site.The
      receipts was 8kgs of sugar and 25 liters of water, 48hr turbo yeast,
      for 4 days. Yes these two runs where single runs, no stripping (not
      quite sure about this stripping stuff,will have to do more reading).
      The boiler is from a different life (cooking crab, & other seafood),
      it is a 16" diameter schedule 40 s/s pipe (thick walled pipe) that we
      welded a bottom on, and adapted a dome to attach the column. Yes it is
      heated by propane. The rate was probably around 500ml per 20 minutes
      (I really did not time it, I will next time).Yes the still was at full
      reflux for about 1.0 hr to stabilize the temp. My first run I did 2
      weeks ago got to 95% ABV. Again, to anxoius to remember time,
      > drips, just get it done!!!!thought there was nothing to this...how
      wrong!
      > Kind of thught that about the carbon, should I run this stuff
      through the sill again? and what about the elevation?

      > Thanks, Mason

      Pushing that turbo to the max is something I would shy away from. Was
      it the Brewhaus 48?
      I'm gonna say you biggest problem is too fast a take off rate.
      1500ml/hour is way high for that column. Keep it under 1L/hour.
      and if your not going to adopt stripping into the process you may want
      to cut it back to 700ml/hr or less. And let the wash clear out. This
      is near a must when dealing with turbo yeast. For a 2 inch column you
      might try upping the full reflux time to 2 hrs.
      Its tricky with propane but you need to know what your reflux ratio
      is. You may have already studied this so I wont go into it right now.

      Mason