Re: Newbe needing some help

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26, 2009
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "manicureplus16"
      <nailme_16@...> wrote:

      > Good day everybody,
      > I started this hobby about 30 days ago, and I am hooked, to the point
      > that my family is ready to disown me! I'm probably the only person
      > that has gone trough this...right???? sorry for straying.
      > I have built a 2 valve reflux still with a s/s 20 gallon boiler, the
      > column is 2" copper 34" high, with s/s pot scrubbers. The condenser is
      > 3" copper 16" high, with 35' of 1/4" tubing. oh ya I live at 1500'
      > above sea level
      >
      > Here are my concern:
      > 1.The last two runs have a really sharp "tequila" nail polish remover
      > odor. Even after passing it through a carbon filter it is still there.
      > The original ABV was 89%, I probably went to quick!
      > Can / should I run the remaining mixed 5 liters, and 1 liter of heads
      > & tailings through the still again and try to eliminate the odor? and
      > raise the ABV to around 95%?
      >
      > 2.Do I need to compensate for the difference in elevation? so rather
      > then 78.4c should it be 77.1c? Because I have been at 78.4c on both
      runs.

      > Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
      >
      > Mike.

      First off, welcome to the group. Sounds like you got yourself a good
      case of the heads. What is your recipe/mashbill? Are you single
      running your booze or stripping and then Spirit running? Most of us
      (reflux guys) are familiar with that particular still head. Let us
      guess, Moonshine-still.com? Not a bad design but unnecessarily
      expensive to build. Anyway, other things I would ask are: How fast
      were you running the rig, Propane or electric? What was the take off
      rate for the run (ml/min)? Did you let the column equalize? How Long?
      As to the temp. You really cant control that. The Still and amount
      of etho in the wash/charge does that.
      I gonna stick my foot in my mouth and say you are single running a
      sugar wash (MUM or Turbo) with propane/turkey fryer and a take off
      rate of about 1 liter/hour.
      As to carbon filtering. One thing you need to know. Carbon with make
      GOOD booze Better. Bad booze made with poor cuts it will not help
      much. Thats why we are here.

      Mason
    • Mike Nevakshonoff
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 26, 2009
        Mason
        Wow you guys are quick.
        I don't want to sound like money was not a factor, but my neighbour is the owner of a plumbing supply house, so I need to make some good product to pay my bill off HaHa!!!!or there may be an invoice showing up soon! The idea came from the many diffrent photos on this site.The receipts was 8kgs of sugar and 25 liters of water, 48hr turbo yeast, for 4 days. Yes these two runs where single runs, no stripping (not quite sure about this stripping stuff,will have to do more reading). The boiler is from a different life (cooking crab, & other seafood), it is a 16" diameter schedule 40 s/s pipe (thick walled pipe) that we welded a bottom on, and adapted a dome to attach the column. Yes it is heated by propane. The rate was probably around 500ml per 20 minutes (I really did not time it, I will next time).Yes the still was at full reflux for about 1.0 hr to stabilize the temp. My first run I did 2 weeks ago got to 95% ABV. Again, to anxoius to remember time,
        drips, just get it done!!!!thought there was nothing to this...how wrong!
        Kind of thught that about the carbon, should I run this stuff through the sill again? and what about the elevation?

        Thanks, Mason
      • rye_junkie1
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 26, 2009
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Nevakshonoff
          <nailme_16@...> wrote:

          > Wow you guys are quick.
          > I don't want to sound like money was not a factor, but my neighbour
          is the owner of a plumbing supply house, so I need to make some good
          product to pay my bill off HaHa!!!!or there may be an invoice showing
          up soon! The idea came from the many diffrent photos on this site.The
          receipts was 8kgs of sugar and 25 liters of water, 48hr turbo yeast,
          for 4 days. Yes these two runs where single runs, no stripping (not
          quite sure about this stripping stuff,will have to do more reading).
          The boiler is from a different life (cooking crab, & other seafood),
          it is a 16" diameter schedule 40 s/s pipe (thick walled pipe) that we
          welded a bottom on, and adapted a dome to attach the column. Yes it is
          heated by propane. The rate was probably around 500ml per 20 minutes
          (I really did not time it, I will next time).Yes the still was at full
          reflux for about 1.0 hr to stabilize the temp. My first run I did 2
          weeks ago got to 95% ABV. Again, to anxoius to remember time,
          > drips, just get it done!!!!thought there was nothing to this...how
          wrong!
          > Kind of thught that about the carbon, should I run this stuff
          through the sill again? and what about the elevation?

          > Thanks, Mason

          Pushing that turbo to the max is something I would shy away from. Was
          it the Brewhaus 48?
          I'm gonna say you biggest problem is too fast a take off rate.
          1500ml/hour is way high for that column. Keep it under 1L/hour.
          and if your not going to adopt stripping into the process you may want
          to cut it back to 700ml/hr or less. And let the wash clear out. This
          is near a must when dealing with turbo yeast. For a 2 inch column you
          might try upping the full reflux time to 2 hrs.
          Its tricky with propane but you need to know what your reflux ratio
          is. You may have already studied this so I wont go into it right now.

          Mason